Have you ever visited the Center of the World?

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Center
In summary, the conversation revolves around different places claiming to be the center of the world, including a place in Ohio named "the Center of the World" which is actually just a proper name and not an actual center of the world. Other places mentioned include Maine, Amsterdam, Paris, and Alaska. The conversation also includes references to books and a road sign in Pennsylvania.
Physics news on Phys.org
That's a fraud, my home is the center of the world.

Monique said:

From the contents of the article, it seems the place is named "the Center of the World" it is not the Center of the World. I.e 'Center of the World' is not a property of the place , it is the proper name of it.:biggrin:

Technically Center of the World is an unincorporated community in the township of Braceville in Trumbull County.

Been to another center of the world

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2688654#post2688654

Last edited by a moderator:
Monique said:

I think Amsterdam lost that title to Paris quite a long time ago. :biggrin:

jtbell said:
This reminds me of "Haddock's Eyes". :tongue2:
Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass , these two books never fail to elevate and amuse.

There's a North Pole in Alaska. It not at the north pole.

Psh, I can one up this. I am ALWAYS at the center of my observable universe.

There's a road sign in Pennsylvania (USA) that says
Mile Run
2 miles

1. What is the Center of the World?

The Center of the World, also known as the "navel of the Earth," is a monument located in Quito, Ecuador that marks the equator line.

2. How accurate is the Center of the World monument?

The monument was built in 1982 and was thought to mark the exact location of the equator. However, modern GPS technology has shown that the actual equator line is about 240 meters north of the monument.

3. Can you stand in both the northern and southern hemisphere at the same time at the Center of the World?

No, due to the slight inaccuracy of the monument's location, you cannot stand in both hemispheres simultaneously. However, there are other nearby locations where you can do so.

4. Are there any interesting experiments that can be done at the Center of the World?

Yes, there are several experiments that demonstrate the effects of being on the equator, such as the Coriolis effect and the balancing of an egg on a nail.

5. Is there an entrance fee to visit the Center of the World?

Yes, there is an entrance fee to enter the monument and surrounding park. The fee is approximately $5 for adults and $2.50 for children.