1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help in locating this oustanding beginners book on algebraic structures?

1. Aug 1, 2012 #1
    I'm posting this question here because I recall a certain book as being an outstanding introducton to algebraic structures and therefore worth knowing about in 2012. The problem is that I borrowed it from a library in the early 1990s and I can't remember it's name!

Here's what I remember:

- It was a plain brown hard-back, over 500 pages, measuring around 16cm x 24cm
    - Had a title with the words groups, rings and maybe monoids or modules; I'm not too sure.
    - Published before 1990, probably in the 1980s
    - At the end of each chapter it devoted a few pages on the history of the development of the subject matter contained in that chapter which I've never seen in any other book before or since on algebraic structures.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2012 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

please delete this question.

4. Aug 6, 2012 #3
    Ok, how do I do that?

It's an amazing book, all the same.

5. Aug 8, 2012 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you do not know either the title or the author of a book and only the decade more or less it was published in and the color of the cover, and that the words modules rings or some such occurred in it, there is little chance anyone can help you locate it. Please do some more homework yourself. E.g. go om amazon and type in some of your key words and search through the hundreds of titles you will fin there, or go back to the library where you checked it out and look on the shelves.

6. Aug 9, 2012 #5
    The brown cover may not help. I am afraid that many Libraries re-bind their books, particularly older ones that may have seen a lot of use.

I wouldn't be so harsh as to recommend deleting your question, but if you remember any more information, it might give some help in finding it.

You are sure it was an introductory book? Something with monoids or modules in the title sounds more advanced to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook