Help name my tailless rescue cat: Precious, Hypo, or Hayden?

  • Thread starter Thread starter holly
  • Start date Start date

Name the Kitty

  • Hayden

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Stubs

    Votes: 15 71.4%
  • Precious

    Votes: 3 14.3%

  • Total voters
    21
  • Poll closed .
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
53 replies · 7K views
holly
Messages
184
Reaction score
0
Denizens,

If you would, please help name my latest rescue. I have been trying to catch this cat since before Xmas, and now he is caught, neutered (he is too happier, I'm telling you), got all his shots, and living in the back bedroom until the old-timers get used to him.

I appeal to you to help name him, because we cannot agree on a name amongst ourselves. The allied health club from my college was NO help, they insisted he be called "Punkin" and I just can't do it. Then one person got everyone to yowling for "Hypo," is that a bad name or what?

Husband wants to call him "Cantorian Set Theory." ABSOLUTELY NOT! His other suggestion is "Hayden." He already named the last one "Ludwig" after his favorite composer. My son is being very bad, he is asking to call him "Stubs," which I think is cruel, as the poor thing HAS NO TAIL. He just has long, fu-manchu hairs where the tail OUGHT to be. So sad, so sad.

I think "Precious" is the cutest name for him, don't you agree? Please vote between those three names (shut up, I am not taking any votes for Cantorian Set Theory, so just HUSH).

You can see him on my website, he is on the front page. Don't go to the other pages, many of you poor things are just not ready for my website! The website (I don't do the link thingie right) is http:// respiratory. faithweb . com, but without all the spaces. Sorry about popups. I hope you all prove more sensible than the allied health bunch.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I like Stubs actually... :biggrin: but then, childish names like that appeal to me! I didnt like my kittens names when they were first given, but if i can grow to love Hoshi, Hana, Kasumi and Yuri, you can grow to love "Stubs" :wink:
 
'Precious', it has to be. How can any Tolkien fan disagree ?
 
I voted for Stubs. I think it's cute and sounds like it fits with the cat. Precious is way too foofy...more of a name for a spoiled poodle with bows on its head, not a scrappy cat that's been on his own for a long time (even if he is neutered now). Hayden is...well, I don't know, I just don't like it. I'll go look at your site and see if any other names come to mind.

*Okay, just looked at his picture. He's definitely not a Precious or Hayden. Stubs still sounds good to me. Though, Ranger popped into mind when I took a look at him. Like the Lone Ranger or Texas Ranger or something like that...just has that look on his face that seems to be saying "I might be cute, but don't mess with me." That cat has attitude and needs a tough-guy name to go with it!
 
Last edited:
Just to be difficult I vote for Scherzo. The scherzo movement was a Beethoven innovation so your husband should be happy, and a scherzo movement should be jolly or brusque, fitting for a short tailed kitty.


(My daughter has a cat named Allegro).
 
I just can't get the little gremlin thing from Lord of the Rings out of my head whenever I hear "precious..." I think it's haunting me now.

cookiemonster
 
Can I change my vote? I like selfAdjoint's suggestion. The meaning is fitting and when you say Scherzo, it sounds strong and full of attitude, and you can be sure every kitty on the block won't have the same name!
 
You can call it Garfield, now that the movie is here
 
My cats always end up having one proper respectable name and then a nickname or two.

Professor Stubinski could be his proper name, and then "Stubs" for short.

Also, you might consult the works of T.S. Eliot for inspiration.
 
I had several cats named Dirt. Just liked the name, I guess... (Not all at once, mind you... They were in succession... Dirt the First, Dirt the Second and Dirt the Turd :biggrin:) When they were bad... their name was Mud. :wink:
 
Adam said:
Kitty should be named Slaughterking 3.2. Or Boots.


:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

That's tickled my funnybone in about a gazillion places!
 
Did you ever hear about the poor cat that only had one eye, was neutered, only had three legs, just a stump of a tail, coughed all the time and walked with a limp? His name was "Lucky."

(I like Stumpy. It'll be easy to remember)
 
I have examined the feline's photographic image, and I believe that cat is named Butterscotch. Probably Scotch for short.
 
This is terrible! YOU GUYS/GALS ARE WORSE, FAR WORSE, THAN THE ALLIED HEALTH BUNCH! Throwing weird names into the mix! Scherzo! Indeed! Ha! Stumpy and Dirt? Neutron?! Are you mad? And voting for that mean name! And getting my son to walking around all morning chanting "Slaughterking! Slaughterking!" Don't even mention Garfield, I can't stand that Garfield, he's so mean! Prof. Stubinski, now that was a nice thought, but he still ends up as Stubs. AT least a few recognize how Precious he looks, but I had forgotten that the creature in the Hobbit was always saying that...

What was I thinking? Asking a rowdy bunch of brains for advice, hmph. Science types are so rarely, rarely sensible.
 
holly said:
This is terrible! YOU GUYS/GALS ARE WORSE, FAR WORSE, THAN THE ALLIED HEALTH BUNCH! Throwing weird names into the mix! Scherzo! Indeed! Ha! Stumpy and Dirt? Neutron?! Are you mad? And voting for that mean name! And getting my son to walking around all morning chanting "Slaughterking! Slaughterking!" Don't even mention Garfield, I can't stand that Garfield, he's so mean! Prof. Stubinski, now that was a nice thought, but he still ends up as Stubs. AT least a few recognize how Precious he looks, but I had forgotten that the creature in the Hobbit was always saying that...

What was I thinking? Asking a rowdy bunch of brains for advice, hmph. Science types are so rarely, rarely sensible.


we tried! :biggrin: :smile:
 
Name him (it) mr. johnson, pet name: john or johnny. Imagine you standing in the door opening calling out "mr johnson! john!" most fun if you live on a busy street :-p

Ok, some other names we've had:
fatty fat.. or the dutch version: dikkie dik (dikkie for short)
tijgertje (dimioutive of tiger)
patrick
boy

some female names: vara, sheba, minoush, bonny

if it's black call it blacky if it's white call it whitey

that's all I have :rolleyes:
 
Monique said:
if it's black call it blacky if it's white call it whitey

that's all I have :rolleyes:

I remember when I lived in West Philly, one of my neighbors had a cat named Whitey. He was always looking for it. Everytime I walked by he was shouting, "Hey Whitey!"

Njorl
 
lol.. I got some looks too while calling out for my cat dikkie (fatty)..
 
Last edited:
*sigh* As the day wore on, the ideas just kept getting worse...

Science types should not run loose without supervision, that's my thought...

I know the dutch are an innocent people, but really...imagine opening my door in God-fearing Midland and calling out for Dik...BLUSH..."Excuse me, do you know where I can find Dik?" Oh, no, please...always looking for Dik...

Zooby is onto something, several people have said he looks like a Butterscotch and one neighbor says he was probably named Butter Brickle at some point...these are the same neighbors who were throwing rocks at him, I might add, appropos nothing, other than I had to immediately rescue him because of their behavior, plus I saw him sit in the street, giving up all rights thereby, IMHO, as a free-roaming kitty.

I have had cats named Black-and-White-Kitty, Yellow-and-White-Kitty, Gray-and-White-Kitty, etc etc so forget color names. And Lenny? Where the heck did LENNY come from? He is NOT a Lenny.

I am going to call him Stubs the Precious, Friend of Composers. Thank God I did not have a baby to name, who knows what you scientists would have come up with...SHUDDER...!
 
He looks like a big dollop of butterscotch on vanilla ice cream. If you don't like "butterscotch" then maybe "Sundae". "Sunny" for everyday, casual situations.
 
Call it "Dog" it would be original wouldn't it?
 
Actually my neighbors had a 24 lb. cat named Dog. That cat was HUGE!
 
He is so cute! He looks like a Morton to me.
 
Our old Tonkanese cat, Opal, had a bunch of kittens ages ago. We sold all but one, and had intended to sell the last as well, so never really bothered naming her. She was stuck with "Kitty". This Kitty grew to mutated Catzilla size and terrorised the local fauna mercilessly. She was just vicious, and amazingly tough. She always went out hunting at night (we live on a farm) and in the mornings brought back snakes, possums, birds, all sorts of things. The rats around the creek are the size of small cats, and she had no trouble with them. Possums are quite vicious, and they were mere toys to her. Now and then she'd drop a still-wriggling snake, around four feet long, in the doorway to show off.

The mother cat, Opal, was just as bad. Some family friends brought their dog here one day. Big mistake. Opal leapt on to it's rear end, all four claws and teeth stuck in. The dog was running around yelping with this little golden cat stuck on its arse, snarling, all weapons embedded. One of the funniest things I've ever seen.

The veterinarians hated both cats.
 
He sort of looks like a Lenny IMO. I think Julius or Ralford might also work.
 
That's not as bad as one friend who had to rename her dog after moving here from France...his French name was a common expletive in English, not something you could go shouting down the street, so she had to change his name to Fax. But it was always fun explaining to people why she named her dog Fax.

I don't think Stubs is mean, I think it's cute. I used to know a three-legged dog named Trike (short for tricycle).

But I can see you're going to be adamant about giving that poor cat some foofy name. Well, Butterscotch is better than Precious, as long as you let it be shortened to Scotch or Scotchy when he's giving attitude. But, um, yeah, I think Dikkie would turn a few heads (I would never name a kid Richard for that same reason...that's just mean to give your kid a name you know he's going to get teased about).