Help with 2 gen chem questions please

• Thread starter amar314
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary, the first question asks about the average atomic mass of Z and it is stated that 48.16% of Z exists as 109Z (108.971 u). The second question asks about how to precipitate fluorine out of solution and it is stated that 85.75mL of 0.3510 M Ca(NO3)2 will do the trick. Lastly, the last question asks how much fluorine is in a sample and it is stated that it is 24.95%, 56.48%, or 10.10% fluorine.
amar314
Hello everyone, first time poster here.
I'm hoping someone can help me with these two questions, they're part of a study guide for my upcoming chem 1 exam.

Mythical element Z has an avg atomic mass of 107.9 u and is known to have only two naturally occurring isotopes. If 48.16% of Z exists as 109Z (108.971 u) what's the other isotope and its atomic mass?

a) 107 Z ; 106.9 u
b) 108 Z ; 107.9 u
c) 110 Z ; 109.9 u
d) 111 Z ; 111.1 u
e) 110 Z ; 110.2 u

and this one:

Fluorine can be precipitated out of solution with the use of calcium to create CaF2 (s). The use of 85.75mL of 0.3510 M Ca(NO3)2 precipitated out all of the fluorine present in a 4.585g sample of a soluble metal fluoride dissolved in water. Calculate the weight percent of fluorine in the sample.

a) 24.95%
b) 11.44%
c) 56.48%
d) 10.10%
e) 12.58%

I attempted both a few times but with no success, I'm just not sure how to start for either, especially the wording in the second problem is very confusing for me.

Any help is super appreciated, thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Amar314,

The questions are actually simple. For the first one, the questions says that Z's average atomic mass is 107.9u and 48.16% of Z exists as 109Z (108.971 u); which means, 100-48.16 = 51.84% is made up of the other one.

So, going by the formula for Mean/Average, we get

Average Mass = (P')*[Mass of one] + (P'')*[Mass of the other]

2) For the second question,

Ca(NO3)2 + MFx (x=unknown) ------> CaF2

(Hint:No. of equivalents of Ca+2 = Number of equivalents of F- )

Try to find out the N factor.

Equivalents = Moles*Nfactor

NB: If you are not aware of equivalent weight and stuff, I suggest you to read :

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~franzen/public_html/CH201/lecture/Lecture_19.pdf

Hope this helps!

ADI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adithyan said:
Hello Amar314,

The questions are actually simple. For the first one, the questions says that Z's average atomic mass is 107.9u and 48.16% of Z exists as 109Z (108.971 u); which means, 100-48.16 = 51.84% is made up of the other one.

So, going by the formula for Mean/Average, we get

Average Mass = (P')*[Mass of one] + (P'')*[Mass of the other]

2) For the second question,

Ca(NO3)2 + MFx (x=unknown) ------> CaF2

(Hint:No. of equivalents of Ca+2 = Number of equivalents of F- )

Try to find out the N factor.

Equivalents = Moles*Nfactor

NB: If you are not aware of equivalent weight and stuff, I suggest you to read :

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~franzen/public_html/CH201/lecture/Lecture_19.pdf

Hope this helps!

ADI.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help!

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between an ionic and covalent bond?

An ionic bond is formed when one atom transfers an electron to another atom, resulting in a positively charged ion and a negatively charged ion. A covalent bond is formed when two atoms share electrons, resulting in a shared electron cloud between the two atoms.

2. How do I calculate the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons in an atom?

The number of protons is equal to the atomic number of the element. The number of neutrons can be calculated by subtracting the atomic number from the atomic mass. The number of electrons is equal to the number of protons in a neutral atom.

3. What is the difference between an acid and a base?

An acid is a substance that donates hydrogen ions in a solution, while a base is a substance that accepts hydrogen ions in a solution. Acids have a pH less than 7, while bases have a pH greater than 7.

4. How do I balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you must ensure that there are equal numbers of each element on both sides of the equation. This can be achieved by adjusting the coefficients in front of each molecule.

5. What is Avogadro's number and how is it used in chemistry?

Avogadro's number is a constant (6.02 x 10^23) that represents the number of particles (atoms, molecules, or ions) in one mole of a substance. It is used in chemistry to convert between the mass of a substance and the number of moles present.

Back