Help with a question (Bernoulli General solution)

In summary: Hello, Thanks for your reply. I am currently reading a text book on partial derivatives. Any Calculus level text (you are looking for something like Calc III) should do the trick. I'm not certain that you are going to find a source on just partials but there ought to be any number of videos and examples online.
Ultra
Hello guys I hope you all are doing well. :)

I found below question in a book by Martin Braun "Differential Equations and Their Applications An Introduction to Applied Mathematics (Fourth Edition)"

The question :
The Bernoulli differential equation is (dy/dt)+a(t)y=b(t)y^n. Multiplying through by µ(t)=exp(Integral of a(t).dt), we can rewrite this equation in the form
d/dt(µ(t)y)=b(t)µ(t)y^n. Find the general solution of this equation by finding an appropriate integrating factor. Hint: Divide both sides of the equation
by an appropriate function of y.

I have problems solving this question. because this question is located in section (1.9) of the book which talks about exact equations and my problem is that
I cannot turn "d/dt(µ(t)y)=b(t)µ(t)y^n" to an exact equation form. I'd appreciate any help. :)

Attachments

• Question_20 (section 1.9) .jpg
    Question_20 (section 1.9) .jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 97
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, Ultra!

Multiply both sides of the Bernoulli equation by $y^{-n}$ to obtain $y^{-n} dy/dt + a(t)y^{1-n} = b(t)$. By the chain rule, $d/dt(y^{1-n}) = (1-n)y^{-n} dy/dt$. So the equation can be written $d/dt(y^{1-n}) + (1-n)a(t)y^{1-n} = (1-n) b(t)$. If $u = y^{1-n}$, then $du/dt + (1-n)a(t)u = (1-n)b(t)$. In this form, you can now find an appropriate integrating factor and solve the equation.

Hello Euge,

Thanks for your reply. However, I think the question asks for something else!
Would u please read the attached PDF?

Attachments

• Question_20_section_1.9.pdf
    150.3 KB · Views: 104
If $z = \mu y$, then $y = z/\mu$ and $d/dt(\mu(t)y) = b(t)\mu(t)y^n$ becomes $$\frac{dz}{dt} = \frac{b}{\mu^{n-1}} z^n$$ Alternatively, $$\frac{dz}{z^n} - \frac{b(t)}{\mu(t)^{n-1}}\, dt = 0$$ This equation is already exact, in fact, separable. So there is no integrating factor to be found.

Hello Euge,

And thank you for your reply. So, the attached PDF is totally wrong?

Attachments

• Question_20_section_1.9_2.pdf
    143.1 KB · Views: 112
Ultra said:
Hello Euge,

And thank you for your reply. So, the attached PDF is totally wrong?
Everything up to the point where you say "And" is correct. But pretty much everything below the statement "Now could we say below" is not. When you take your partial with respect to t you will not get the RHS. I'm not sure how you calculated it, but it's wrong.

-Dan

topsquark said:
Everything up to the point where you say "And" is correct. But pretty much everything below the statement "Now could we say below" is not. When you take your partial with respect to t you will not get the RHS. I'm not sure how you calculated it, but it's wrong.

-Dan
Hello Dan,

And thank you.

topsquark said:

-Dan
Dan what book u suggest for someone who wants bone up his understanding of partials? (after all these years I still think I haven't known them by heart!)

Ultra said:
Dan what book u suggest for someone who wants bone up his understanding of partials? (after all these years I still think I haven't known them by heart!)
Any Calculus level text (you are looking for something like Calc III) should do the trick. I'm not certain that you are going to find a source on just partials but there ought to be any number of videos and examples online.

-Dan

1. What is Bernoulli's General solution?

Bernoulli's General solution is a mathematical formula used to solve differential equations of the form dy/dx + P(x)y = Q(x)y^n. It is named after the Swiss mathematician Jacob Bernoulli and is a generalization of the Bernoulli equation.

2. How is Bernoulli's General solution derived?

The general solution is derived by first dividing the differential equation by y^n and then using a substitution u = y^(1-n). This transforms the equation into a linear differential equation, which can then be solved using standard methods.

3. What are the applications of Bernoulli's General solution?

Bernoulli's General solution has various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. It is commonly used to model population growth, chemical reactions, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in the design of aircraft wings and in financial mathematics.

4. Are there any limitations to using Bernoulli's General solution?

One limitation of Bernoulli's General solution is that it can only be applied to differential equations of the specific form dy/dx + P(x)y = Q(x)y^n. It also assumes that the values of P(x) and Q(x) are continuous and differentiable.

5. How can I use Bernoulli's General solution to solve a specific problem?

To use Bernoulli's General solution to solve a specific problem, you will need to first identify if the problem can be represented by the general form of the equation. Then, you can follow the steps of substitution and solving the resulting linear differential equation to find the general solution. Finally, you can use initial conditions or boundary conditions to determine the particular solution for the problem at hand.