Energy of a mass orbiting a black hole at distance r

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter zzzaaaappp
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Black holes Holes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
zzzaaaappp
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I have a question about black holes and energy but have no idea what to do. if someone could just point me in the right direction.

the question asks to consider a mass spiraling into a black hole, starting with energy E=0 at infinity. I have to determine E of the object when orbiting the black hole at distance r classically. I'm just stuck right now, not sure what is wrong.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
The kinetic energy E, or the total energy? The total energy is trivial: because of the conservation of energy, total energy is 0, just as it was when it was at infinity.