1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Metal reactions in solutions.

1. Sep 20, 2012 #1
    my class did a metal activity series lab where we added calcium to 8 different solutions. We have to write the net ionic equations for each reaction but im stuck getting started on them.
    Ca(s) + Ca(NO3)2(aq) = ?

my guess

Ca(s) + Ca(NO3)2(aq) + 2H2O(l) --> Ca(OH)2 + H2(g) + Ca(NO3)(aq)

This one reacted in the lab. I also remember gas being formed so do I have to include water in the equation?? but i dont know what the equation is. Another one is

Ca(s) + FeSO4(aq) = im guessing its CaSO4(aq) + Fe(s) ?

again there was gas formation but there is no gas in the equation?

Would really appreciate the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2012 #2

AGNuke

Gold Member

Since both solutions are aqueous solution, Calcium can simply react with water to form Calcium Hydroxide and Hydrogen Gas.

In the first one, no overall displacement takes place as the displacing metal and displaced metals, both are the same. In the second one, iron will be displaced by calcium and Calcium Sulphate will be formed. In the second equation, you must include water because Calcium can react with water at room temperature. That too, vigorously. If warm water is taken, the hydrogen gas evolved can catch fire too, giving you Brick-red flame.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  4. Sep 21, 2012 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

And the first step was always the same. Depending on the solution composition something else could happen afterwards, but the next stage would be almost the same if you were to add dissolved Ca(OH)2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook