Help with nonlinear 1st order ODE

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of proving the blow up of {x}^{.}(t) = x^{2}+ t^{2} with x(0) = 0 before t = 1. Various methods are suggested, including using an integral and a comparison ODE. Eventually, the use of a Bessel function is proposed, which suggests that the blow up occurs at t=2.003147, not at t=1.
X89codered89X
So I'm supposed to prove that
[itex]{x}^{.}(t) = x^{2}+ t^{2}[/itex] with [itex] x(0) = 0 [/itex] blows up before [itex] t = 1 [/itex].

I'm not sure what method to use to solve I've tried setting up an integral such as [itex]\int^{x(t)}_{x(0)} \frac{dx}{x^{2}+t^{2}} = \int^{t}_{0} dt[/itex] but I didn't think I could do this since 't' is varying over time on the Left Hand side and I'm integrating with respect to x.

The only other clue I have is to use a comparison ODE, which was mentioned in class, in which would use a function, say... [itex] g^{.}(t) =< x^{.}(t) [/itex] which was easier to work with. If I were able to prove that the lesser function exploded before [itex] t= 1 [/itex], then logically the greater one explodes. The thing is I don't know what function I would even chose to set this up. Any ideas?

..and Thank youuuuu.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello !

The ODE is on the Riccati kind. First let x(t) = -y'/y
leading to y''+t²y=0
which is on the Bessel kind
y(t) = sqrt(t)*(c1*J(k,X)+c2*J(-k,X) )
J(k,X) is the Bessel function of order k
k=1/4
X=t²/2
k=1/4

Right OK! can I then substitute that back in somehow to show that it explodes at t -> 1? I don't necessarily need to get it solved. Just know how it behaves.

X89codered89X said:
Right OK! can I then substitute that back in somehow to show that it explodes at t -> 1? I don't necessarily need to get it solved. Just know how it behaves.

From my results it doesn't "explodes" close to t=1, but at t=2.003147 which is the first root of the BesselJ function of order -1/4.

Attachments

• EDO_BesselJ.JPG
    EDO_BesselJ.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 422

Hello, thank you for reaching out for help with your nonlinear first-order ODE. To prove that the solution blows up before t=1, you can use the method of finding a lower bound for the solution. This involves finding a function g(t) such that g'(t) < x'(t) for all t, and g(t) < x(t) for t=0.

One way to find this lower bound is by using the comparison ODE method you mentioned. You can choose a function g(t) that is simpler and easier to work with, such as g(t) = t. Then, you can compare the derivatives g'(t) and x'(t) to establish that g'(t) < x'(t) for all t, and g(0) = 0 < x(0) = 0.

Next, you can solve the comparison ODE g'(t) = g(t)^2 + t^2 to find the solution g(t) = tan(t^2/2). Then, you can show that this solution blows up at t=1, since g(1) = tan(1/2) is not defined.

Since g(t) is a lower bound for x(t), this means that x(t) must also blow up before t=1. This proves that the solution x(t) = tan(t^2/2) blows up before t=1 as well.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your proof!

1. What is a nonlinear 1st order ODE?

A nonlinear 1st order ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives with respect to a single independent variable. Nonlinear ODEs involve functions that are not directly proportional to their derivatives, making them more complex to solve compared to linear ODEs.

2. Why is it important to solve nonlinear 1st order ODEs?

Nonlinear 1st order ODEs have a wide range of applications in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, biology, chemistry, and economics. By solving these equations, we can better understand and predict the behavior of complex systems, and make informed decisions based on the results.

3. What methods are commonly used to solve nonlinear 1st order ODEs?

There are several methods for solving nonlinear 1st order ODEs, including separation of variables, substitution, and the use of integrating factors. Other techniques such as series solutions and numerical methods can also be used for more complex equations.

4. How can I check if my solution to a nonlinear 1st order ODE is correct?

One way to check the correctness of your solution is to substitute it back into the original equation and verify that it satisfies the equation. You can also compare your solution to known solutions or use a computer software to plot the solution and see if it matches the expected behavior.

5. Are there any tips for solving nonlinear 1st order ODEs more efficiently?

One helpful tip is to first try to simplify the equation by using appropriate substitutions or transformations. It is also important to carefully check the initial conditions and boundary conditions to ensure that the solution is valid. Additionally, having a good understanding of the properties and behavior of different types of nonlinear ODEs can also aid in finding an efficient solution.