Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with nonlinear 1st order ODE

1. Jan 29, 2012 #1
    So I'm supposed to prove that
    [itex]{x}^{.}(t) = x^{2}+ t^{2}[/itex] with [itex] x(0) = 0 [/itex] blows up before [itex] t = 1 [/itex].

I'm not sure what method to use to solve I've tried setting up an integral such as [itex]\int^{x(t)}_{x(0)} \frac{dx}{x^{2}+t^{2}} = \int^{t}_{0} dt[/itex] but I didn't think I could do this since 't' is varying over time on the Left Hand side and I'm integrating with respect to x.

The only other clue I have is to use a comparison ODE, which was mentioned in class, in which would use a function, say... [itex] g^{.}(t) =< x^{.}(t) [/itex] which was easier to work with. If I were able to prove that the lesser function exploded before [itex] t= 1 [/itex], then logically the greater one explodes. The thing is I don't know what function I would even chose to set this up. Any ideas?

..and Thank youuuuu.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2012 #2
    Hello !

The ODE is on the Riccati kind. First let x(t) = -y'/y
    leading to y''+t²y=0
    which is on the Bessel kind
    y(t) = sqrt(t)*(c1*J(k,X)+c2*J(-k,X) )
    J(k,X) is the Bessel function of order k
    k=1/4
    X=t²/2
    k=1/4

4. Jan 30, 2012 #3
    Right OK!! can I then substitute that back in somehow to show that it explodes at t -> 1? I don't necessarily need to get it solved. Just know how it behaves.

5. Jan 30, 2012 #4
    From my results it doesn't "explodes" close to t=1, but at t=2.003147 which is the first root of the BesselJ function of order -1/4.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook