Help with Spectroscopy in Astronomy

In summary, the speaker is having trouble finding research for their optics project, specifically on the physics behind how astronomers and astrophysicists measure the Spectrum of the Sun using spectroscopy. They have been searching through various databases and websites, including Web of Science, Galileo, Google Scholar, and Wikipedia, but have not been able to find much information on the term "Ascell spectroscopy" as pronounced by their professor. They are asking for help in figuring out the correct spelling of this term or the current name(s) of the specific spectroscopy used to measure the Sun, which may be called Echelle.
piareround
Hey everyone,

Over the past few days I have been having trouble with finding research for my optics project.

The topic I chose was supposed to be the physics behind how astronomer's and astrophysics measure the Spectrum of the Sun ans specifically the mathematics/physics behind the spectroscopy they use for our sun and others. According to my professor is called like "Ascell spectroscopy" with him pronouncing the "Ascell" like the phrase "a-shell". After 2-3 day of searching WebofScience, Galelio, Google Scholar, and even Wikipedia for this term, I come up with so little information that I think I have somehow completely butcher the spelling of "Ascell Spectroscopy"

So if you guys could help me figure out the correct spelling of this word it would help out alot. Alternatively if you guys have the current name(s) of the specific spectroscopy(s) we use to measure the Sun that would help also.

Astronomy news on Phys.org

What is spectroscopy in astronomy?

Spectroscopy in astronomy is a technique used to study the properties of light emitted or absorbed by objects in space. It involves breaking down light into its component wavelengths and analyzing the intensity and patterns of these wavelengths to gather information about the composition, temperature, and motion of celestial objects.

What equipment is used for spectroscopy in astronomy?

The equipment used for spectroscopy in astronomy includes telescopes, spectrographs, and detectors. Telescopes are used to collect light from celestial objects, spectrographs break down this light into its component wavelengths, and detectors capture and record the data for analysis.

What are the applications of spectroscopy in astronomy?

Spectroscopy is used in astronomy for a variety of purposes, including determining the chemical composition of stars and planets, studying the movement and rotation of objects in space, and detecting the presence of gases and molecules in interstellar space. It is also used to measure the distance to objects in space and to study the properties of galaxies and the early universe.

What are the different types of spectroscopy in astronomy?

There are several types of spectroscopy used in astronomy, including optical spectroscopy, which uses visible light, and infrared spectroscopy, which uses infrared light. Other types include ultraviolet spectroscopy, radio spectroscopy, and X-ray spectroscopy. Each type has its own advantages and is used for different purposes in astronomy.

How does spectroscopy contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Spectroscopy has been a crucial tool in advancing our understanding of the universe. By analyzing the light emitted or absorbed by objects in space, scientists can determine their composition, temperature, and motion, providing valuable insights into the formation and evolution of celestial objects. Spectroscopy also allows us to study the chemical makeup of distant galaxies and the early universe, providing clues about the origins of the cosmos.