How Accurate is the Science in Angels and Demons?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Leonardo Sidis
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Code
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Leonardo Sidis
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons...what else?

I'm just curious about the opinions of everyone here on the Da Vinci Code, and Angels and Demons, especially concerning the 'scientific' side of the latter. Since many people here are pretty knowledgeable about a lot of the stuff in the Angels and Demons such as antimatter, CERN, particle accelerators, etc. (except me), I thought it would be interesting to here your opinions on this as well as the books overall and/or the movie.

I thought Angels and Demons was slightly better, but both books were good. Just thought I'd also mention that the movie SUCKED!
For those of you who have seen the movie and read the books, try to imagine seeing the movie without having read either book to see how bad of a movie it really is lol. I wouldn't have been able to follow it at all. Tom Hanks doesn't fit the Harvard Academic role well at all in my opinion. He's more of a Forrest Gump kind of actor :)
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Leonardo Sidis said:
I'm just curious about the opinions of everyone here on the Da Vinci Code, especially concerning the 'scientific' side of it. Since many people here are pretty knowledgeable about a lot of the stuff in the Da Vinci Code such as antimatter, CERN, particle accelerators, etc. (except me), I thought it would be interesting to here your opinions on this as well as the book overall and/or the movie.


All of that was in Angels and Demons, I don't think there was much of a scientific side to The Da Vinci Code at all, it was mostly religious stuff.
 
wow, thanks, you're completely right. I'm sorry, I'm very tired and I mixed up the plots (it's 4:30 am here)

I'll edit my first post
 
CERN's website has some comments about Angels and Demons:
http://public.web.cern.ch/Public/Content/Chapters/Spotlight/SpotlightAandD-en.html
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Leonardo Sidis said:
Tom Hanks doesn't fit the Harvard Academic role well at all in my opinion. He's more of a Forrest Gump kind of actor :)
I still haven't seen the movie, but yeah, as soon as I heard they cast him for that part, I didn't understand that at all. He just doesn't at all fit my image of the character.

As for the "science" in the book, just like most of the religious content in the book, it's fiction, made up to make a good story, with just enough facts to make it sound slightly real (yes, CERN exists, and they have a particle accelerator, but they aren't creating new universes in it :rolleyes:).

Oh, just checked out CERN's website on that. Good idea for them to do that to dispel the myths.