How can a young student help promote physics interest in younger kids?
- Thread starter TensorCalculus
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
76 replies · 16K views
Physics news on Phys.org
TensorCalculus
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 283
- 469
I have: but there aren't many open to people of my age, at least none that I'm aware of, and they'd have to not overlap with the school day either...WWGD said:Have you considered attending local meetups, where you may run into some like-minded , similarly-motivated people?
Muu9
- 369
- 269
The timing would still be an issueWWGD said:
TensorCalculus
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 283
- 469
They generally ask for proof of age for safety reasons on the sign up (they're big on that here in the UK), and I might be tall but I do look and dress like a teenager :)WWGD said:
(if that's what you're implying?)
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Just a bad joke suggesting you pretend to be older.TensorCalculus said:They generally ask for proof of age for safety reasons on the sign up (they're big on that here in the UK), and I might be tall but I do look and dress like a teenager :)
(if that's what you're implying?)
TensorCalculus
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 283
- 469
haha yeah that's what I inferred :)WWGD said:Just a bad joke suggesting you pretend to be older.
sbrothy
Gold Member
- 1,896
- 1,548
For what it's worth I'd happily take a correspondence course under you!symbolipoint said:NO.. No! I really do not mean "online courses". I do mean real courses in classrooms, physical classrooms.
Mostly math related though.
sbrothy
Gold Member
- 1,896
- 1,548
Scarily I think that the most of the geniuses did their best work in their early twenties... Not a comforting tought.kuruman said:You got about 10 years to make to make up your mind. I asked Google AI "When does a male human's brain gel?" and here is what it said:
It appears you're using "gel" as a metaphorical term for reaching maturity or completing development.Based on current research, the male human brain doesn't fully develop, in terms of reaching complete maturity and efficiency in all areas, until around 25 years of age, or even as late as 30.Specifically, the prefrontal cortex, responsible for executive functions like decision-making, planning, and impulse control, is one of the last areas to fully mature. While the brain undergoes significant growth and forms numerous neural connections in early childhood, the process of myelination (insulation of nerve fibers for faster transmission) and synaptic pruning (elimination of unused connections for efficiency) continues well into adolescence and early adulthood.It's important to remember that brain development is a complex and ongoing process influenced by a variety of factors, including genetics, environment, experiences, and lifestyle choices.
My brain gelled at age 26.![]()
sbrothy
Gold Member
- 1,896
- 1,548
Oh, I may have been too quick. Don't know where I picked that up:
https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/epdfplus/10.1086/347941
https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/epdfplus/10.1086/347941
TensorCalculus
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 283
- 469
I don't know about most geniuses but Newton certainly did a lot of his work in his early twenties!sbrothy said:Oh, I may have been too quick. Don't know where I picked that up:
https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/epdfplus/10.1086/347941
sbrothy
Gold Member
- 1,896
- 1,548
I think I may have read somewhere that if you haven't done important work when you turn 30 it's not gonna happen, but that's clearly bunk. Just think of Marie Curie who worked hard her entire life (only to be rewarded with Leukemia (well technically aplastic anemia thought to be caused by the high amounts of exposure to radium). But man she was a driven woman!
sbrothy
Gold Member
- 1,896
- 1,548
sbrothy said:Oh, I may have been too quick. Don't know where I picked that up:
https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/epdfplus/10.1086/347941
Oh, It's a quote by Einstein in the very paper I linked to. So yes, I disagree with Einstein!
*Runs for cover....*

MidgetDwarf
- 1,630
- 735
THey also lived in age in which information advanced more slowly. Unless someone solves something crazy like navier-stokes , Reimann Hypothesis. Then the importance discoveries have the probability may not fully be appreciated instantly...
It would be interesting, and I am a bit too lazy. To compile the data of big wigs in physics and mathematics. By data, I mean H-Index for starters, then look what was the average age when "important" papers were written.
It would be interesting, and I am a bit too lazy. To compile the data of big wigs in physics and mathematics. By data, I mean H-Index for starters, then look what was the average age when "important" papers were written.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 3,935
- 1,863
Schoedinger did his seminal work when he was at least 38 years of age. Very late in life for a physicist.
sbrothy
Gold Member
- 1,896
- 1,548
I was sure Sapolsky had some insight on this. Instead I stumbled over this one
Aging and brain plasticity (NLM)
EDIT: I know it's more general. Still relevant to the topic I think.
Aging and brain plasticity (NLM)
EDIT: I know it's more general. Still relevant to the topic I think.
- 7,531
- 3,056
Concerning high-school physics clubs, here are more ideas from other platforms:
Similar threads
- Bzpro666
- · Replies 13 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 13
- Alkemyst
- · Replies 2 ·
- STEM Educators and Teaching
- Replies
- 2
- TwigLaser
- · Replies 12 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 12