How Can I Access Historic Articles from the American Journal of Science?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Myst
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Journal Science
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
Myst
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hello.

Sorry, it's quite a double post with my previous one, but I hope you can help me.

I found nearly impossible to retrieve very old articles from American Scientific Journals. At least the Physical Review has its own archive, for a terrible price of $ 20 per article.

But I'm desperately trying to find "Influence of motion of the medium on the velocity of light" published in 1886 in the American Journal of Science (AJS) by Michelson and Morley. It is volume XXXI, p.377-386.

I looked up on AJS website, but their archive database dates back to 1945 only.

If anyone could provide me with an electronic version of the original article, or at least a place where to find / buy the oldest issues of AJS, or even a link to a website / a searcher who may have the article, I would be very grateful.

Thanks !

PS : Fizeau's experiment is in itself a very good proof of SR, all the more interesting as it was first meant to justify Fresnel aether's drag coefficient, and that only Einstein's SR was able to explain it correctly.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Myst said:
Hello.

Sorry, it's quite a double post with my previous one, but I hope you can help me.

I found nearly impossible to retrieve very old articles from American Scientific Journals. At least the Physical Review has its own archive, for a terrible price of $ 20 per article.

But I'm desperately trying to find "Influence of motion of the medium on the velocity of light" published in 1886 in the American Journal of Science (AJS) by Michelson and Morley. It is volume XXXI, p.377-386.

I looked up on AJS website, but their archive database dates back to 1945 only.

If anyone could provide me with an electronic version of the original article, or at least a place where to find / buy the oldest issues of AJS, or even a link to a website / a searcher who may have the article, I would be very grateful.

Thanks !

PS : Fizeau's experiment is in itself a very good proof of SR, all the more interesting as it was first meant to justify Fresnel aether's drag coefficient, and that only Einstein's SR was able to explain it correctly.



Here: http://www.aip.org/history/gap/PDF/michelson.pdf
 
nakurusil said:
Here: http://www.aip.org/history/gap/PDF/michelson.pdf

Well, no, this is the original Michelson & Morley experiment, not the repetition of Fizeau's one.
But thanks. :smile:
 
Hi Myst,
To my surprise, I was undergoing the same kind of desperation, for exactly the same reason.
All I could get was http://ajs.library.cmu.edu/
You can surely find it putting something like "michelson" on the search box.
First time I tried there was an error message but they fixed it, apparently.
Not sure yet if it is downloadable, though.
Let me know if you manage to get it in pdf.
Cheers,
Beto