How can I estimate time constants in a Prony series without trial and error?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nellierd
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fitting Series
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 10K views
nellierd
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I am trying to fit a prony series to set of data(modulus and time). I want to use curve fitting to fit the experimental data set. I am confused about the time constants. Is there a way I can find the time constants without having to do it by hit and trial method. Is there a way by which I can estimate the time constants? Any help is appreciated.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
The pdf in the below link describes a least squares method based on measured and calculated stress.

http://www.osti.gov/bridge/purl.cov...A94E1C94ACE4?purl=/469147-jdOZBI/webviewable/

In your case, it sounds like you have ordered pairs [itex](G_i,t_i)[/itex] and want to fit the data to a function that looks something like:

[tex]G(t) = G_0 + \sum_{i=1}^n G_i e^{t/\tau_i}[/tex]

where [itex]G_0[/itex] is known and you want to obtain estimates for the [tex]G_i[/itex] and [itex]\tau_i[/itex]. Since the number of unknowns is 2*n, you need at least 2*n data points.[/tex]
 
Last edited: