How can I get a summer-job as a self taught programmer?

• Thread starter Jarfi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Self
In summary, the speaker has self-taught themselves web development skills including CSS, HTML, php/mysql databases, and javascript. They are interested in using their skills to help others who cannot afford a professional programmer and are seeking information on self-employment opportunities in programming. They have not heard of websites that offer programming tasks for pay but are interested in exploring this option.
Jarfi
I have been over the past three months learning to create a website from scratch while pursuing my Engineering degree. The website is looking pretty good and ranks top on google, has ip/geolocation-tracking and live chats made from scratch.

I am not taking it as a course in uni, it's just something I learned by myself. I've gotten to know CSS, HTML, php/mysql databases, javascript and all that roughly

It would be nice to be able to use this skill to help ordinary people who can't afford a programmer or have the time to make their own website, but can afford a student who can build their basic website and make it look how they want it to look.

Does anybody have experience getting hired with "street-programming" knowledge but not an actual degree?(still in school)

Looking for some info on self-employed programming,

-Gabriel.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are websites where programming tasks are offered. Did you have a look at them?

mfb said:
There are websites where programming tasks are offered. Did you have a look at them?
Nope? never heard of that before, do they pay reasonably?

It is possible to live from it, but I don't know how well. You can find them with google, I don't know them so I cannot suggest a specific one.

1. Can I get a summer job as a self-taught programmer without a formal degree?

Yes, it is possible to get a summer job as a self-taught programmer without a formal degree. Many companies value practical skills and experience over formal education.

2. How can I showcase my skills and knowledge as a self-taught programmer to potential employers?

You can showcase your skills and knowledge through building a portfolio of projects, contributing to open-source projects, participating in coding competitions, and networking with other professionals in the field.

3. Are there any specific programming languages I should learn to increase my chances of getting a summer job as a self-taught programmer?

It depends on the industry and type of job you are interested in. However, some popular and in-demand programming languages include Java, Python, JavaScript, and C++. It is also important to have a strong understanding of fundamental programming concepts.

4. How can I gain work experience as a self-taught programmer?

You can gain work experience by taking on freelance projects, internships, or volunteer opportunities. You can also reach out to small businesses or startups that may be more open to hiring self-taught programmers.

5. What other skills besides programming should I have to increase my chances of getting a summer job?

In addition to programming skills, it is beneficial to have strong problem-solving abilities, communication skills, and the ability to work in a team. Employers also value candidates who are adaptable, willing to learn, and have a strong work ethic.