Sum of powers of i with odd exponents from 1 to 555

  • Thread starter Thread starter Callmelucky
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 1K views
Callmelucky
Messages
144
Reaction score
30
Homework Statement
How can I solve ##1+i^3+i^5+...+i^{553}+i^{555} \ ?##
Relevant Equations
i^2=-1
How can I solve 1+i^3+i^5+...+i^553+i^555? I know how to solve 1+i+i^2+i^3+i^4...+i^1001(first 4 when added =0 and then we have 1002 members, we divide that by 4, get 250 groups of 0+0+0... which is 0 and then last two members are i^1000 + i^1001 which = 1+i) and such problems but I am confused with this when the difference between exponents is 2 and I have an odd number in the last exponent.

Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Callmelucky said:
Homework Statement:: How can I solve 1+i^3+i^5+...+i^553+i^555?
Relevant Equations:: i^2=-1

How can I solve 1+i^3+i^5+...+i^553+i^555? I know how to solve 1+i+i^2+i^3+i^4...+i^1001(first 4 when added =0 and then we have 1002 members, we divide that by 4, get 250 groups of 0+0+0... which is 0 and then last two members are i^1000 + i^1001 which = 1+i) and such problems but I am confused with this when the difference between exponents is 2 and I have an odd number in the last exponent.

Thank you.
##i^2 =-1## so ##i^4 = 1##. So ##i^5= i^4 \cdot i = 1\cdot i = i.## We need to know all odd powers: ##i^{4n+1}## and ##i^{4n+3}.##
 
Callmelucky said:
Homework Statement:: How can I solve 1+i^3+i^5+...+i^553+i^555?
Relevant Equations:: i^2=-1

How can I solve 1+i^3+i^5+...+i^553+i^555? I know how to solve 1+i+i^2+i^3+i^4...+i^1001(first 4 when added =0 and then we have 1002 members, we divide that by 4, get 250 groups of 0+0+0... which is 0 and then last two members are i^1000 + i^1001 which = 1+i) and such problems but I am confused with this when the difference between exponents is 2 and I have an odd number in the last exponent.

You have described a geometric series (except possibly for the first term being 1 rather than [itex]i[/itex]). The formula [tex] \sum_{k=0}^n ar^n = \frac{a(1 - r^{n+1})}{1 - r}[/tex] holds for [itex]a \in \mathbb{C}[/itex] and [itex]r \in \mathbb{C} \setminus \{1\}[/itex]. Set [itex]a = i[/itex] and [itex]r = i^2[/itex] and see what happens.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: scottdave and PeroK
##S = 1+i^3+i^5+...+i^{553}+i^{555}##

The second term is ##i^3=-i## and the ##n^{th}## term (for ##n \ge 3##) is ##i^2 (=-1)## times the ##(n-1)^{th}## term. So ##S## can be written as:

##S = 1 - i + (-1)(-i) + (-1)(-1)(-i) + (-1)(-1)(-1)(-i) + …##
##= 1 - i + i - i + i …##

Now work out the number of terms...

Edit: cosmetic changes only.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Callmelucky and FactChecker