How can I use the NIST XCOM online tool to calculate X and Gamma shielding?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
Javier Lopez
Messages
74
Reaction score
3
In order to calculate X and Gamma shielding of I should like use the NIST XCOM online at https://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/Xcom/html/xcom1.html
In the Xcom tool it is obtained a graph and table of scattering in cm2/g.

In order to calculate as example the shielding from 1e19 gamma rays of 4MeV using 10cm of lead.
Using the tool I obtained a scattering of 4.2e-2 cm2/g and the density of Pb solid is 11.34 g/cc
I suppose scattering length= 1/(4.2e-2 cm2/g * 11.34 g/cc)=21cm
Then the remainder rays should be: N=N0*exp(- lead thick/scattering length)=6.2e18 so 62% of generated radiation passes through lead
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sorry, I edited while you wrote :( , staff mentor, could you or somebody else check the equation as I edited?
 
Javier,
your equation is good but the terms you used are Strange. 4.2e-2 cm2/g is not a "scattering length" but a total mass attenuation coefficient (due to Scattering, Photoelectric Absorption, Pair Production).
 
Hello PSR1919121, you are right, the equation should be less strange in latex (I do not know how if possible here):
$$\lambda =\frac{1}{4.2*10^{-2}*\frac{cm^2}{g}*11.34\frac{g}{cm^3}}=21cm$$

Then I write the formula here:
$$N=N_0*e^{-\frac{thick}{\lambda }}=N_0*e^{-thick*SC*\rho}$$
SC is the scattering parameter (cm2/g) and rho is the density (g/cm3), thick is in cm
(It could be used SI using kg and metres instead of g and cm but unfortunately SC is written in cgs)
 
Attachments
  • e7nxoz.jpg
    e7nxoz.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 523
  • 21ad9qf.jpg
    21ad9qf.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 512
Last edited:
Javier Lopez said:
the equation should be less strange in latex (I do not know how if possible here)
Just surround it by ##[/color] for inline formulas and $[/color]$ for full-size formulas.
$$\frac{1}{4.2\cdot 10^{-2} \frac{cm^2}{g}}$$
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Javier Lopez