How Can Intersection of Indexed Family Sets Belong to Their Power Sets?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
nike5
Messages
13
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Suppose {Ai| i [tex]\in[/tex] I} is an indexed family of sets and I does
equal an empty set. Prove that [tex]\bigcap[/tex] i [tex]\in[/tex] I Ai
[tex]\in[/tex] [tex]\bigcap[/tex] i[tex]\in[/tex] I P(Ai ) and P(Ai) is the
power set of Ai

Homework Equations


none


The Attempt at a Solution


Suppose x [tex]\in[/tex] {Ai| i [tex]\in[/tex] I}. Let i be an arbitrary element of
I where x [tex]\in[/tex] Ai . Then let y be an arbitrary element of x. Since x
is an element of Ai and y [tex]\in[/tex] x it follows that ...

maybe i want to show that [tex]\bigcap[/tex] i [tex]\in[/tex] I Ai [tex]\subseteq[/tex] [tex]\bigcap[/tex] i [tex]\in[/tex] I Ai and then
I could say that [tex]\bigcap[/tex] i [tex]\in[/tex] I Ai [tex]\in[/tex] [tex]\bigcap[/tex] i[tex]\in[/tex] I P(Ai )
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Let [tex]\left\{ A_{i} \right\}_{i \in I}[/tex] be your indexed set of family.

Do you mean this [tex]\bigcap_{i=1} A_i = \left\{ x : \forall i \in I: x \in A_i \right\}[/tex]?
 
nike5 said:

Homework Statement


Suppose {Ai| i [tex]\in[/tex] I} is an indexed family of sets and I does
equal an empty set.
Did you mean "does not equal and empty set"?