How can language proficiency affect understanding of math concepts?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to increase the radius of a circle by a certain number of units in order to increase the area by a specified number of square units. The formula for the area of a circle is mentioned and then a question is asked about how to solve for the increase in radius. The conversation then delves into finding the change in area and using that to solve for the increase in radius. The question is then clarified and the language of math is discussed, emphasizing that it is a unique language that can be confusing even to those who are well-versed in other languages.
mathdad
The radius of a circle is r units. By how many units should the radius be increased so that the area increases by b square units?

I don't know where to begin.

A = πr^2

Does this question involve the area of a circle formula? If so, in what way?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let's let $0<a$ be the number units the radius must be increased. And so the change in area we can write as:

\(\displaystyle \Delta A=\pi(r+a)^2-\pi r^2=b\)

Now solve for $a$. :D

MarkFL said:
Let's let $0<a$ be the number units the radius must be increased. And so the change in area we can write as:

\(\displaystyle \Delta A=\pi(r+a)^2-\pi r^2=b\)

Now solve for $a$. :D

1. Where did (r + a) cone from?

2. What words in the application indicate that one area must be subtracted from another?

RTCNTC said:
1. Where did (r + a) cone from?

That is the radius of the circle after it has been increased by $a$ units.

RTCNTC said:
2. What words in the application indicate that one area must be subtracted from another?

If I tell you that my weight increased by 20 lbs., then you know my new weight minus my old weight is 20 lbs. Same kind of thing going on here. If the area of the circle is to increase by $b$ units squared, then the new area minus the old area must be $b$.

To me, the question is worded a bit odd.

What is your native language?

HallsofIvy said:
What is your native language?

My native language is Spanish. I was born in DR and immigrated with my parents to NYC in 1973. I was 8 years old. I have not been back to DR since 1973.

I have more dominance of the English language than I do my native language. This is not about English or Spanish or Chinese or whatever. Math has a unique way of confusing the smartest English major at any level. Math, just like any field, has its own language or jargon.

What is the radius of a circle?

The radius of a circle is the distance from the center of the circle to any point on its circumference.

How do you calculate the radius of a circle?

The radius of a circle can be calculated using the formula r = C/2π, where r is the radius, C is the circumference, and π is approximately 3.14.

What is the relationship between the radius and diameter of a circle?

The diameter of a circle is twice the length of its radius. In other words, the diameter is equal to 2 times the radius.

What is the unit of measurement for radius?

The unit of measurement for radius is the same as the unit of measurement for the length of the circle's circumference. This can be any unit of length, such as inches, centimeters, or meters.

How does the radius of a circle affect its area?

The area of a circle is calculated using the formula A = πr^2, where A is the area and r is the radius. This means that the area of a circle is directly proportional to the square of the radius. As the radius increases, the area of the circle also increases.