Hi Bobie, I like the questions you sometimes ask at PF, which start interesting/entertaining discussion, on many different topics!
I am not a cosmologist---just an interested amateur who watches the professional research.
therefore I cannot judge with any confidence the future course of research---I cannot guess what more will be found, or not found, in the future. I will be pleasantly surprised if they find protogalaxies at z>12, but I have absolutely no idea whether they will or will not
You should, I think, get some hands-on experience with the relation between the distance stretch ratio z+1
and the estimated look-back time. This depends on what MODEL-PARAMETERS one puts into the standard cosmic model. From time to time as new data comes in, the cosmologists make slight changes in the preferred model parameters. But they don't change them by much so the estimated age of expansion, and the lookback times change very little---it doesn't really matter.
You will see in my signature, where it says "LightCone", a link to a calculator that makes TABLES of the past and future history of cosmos.
The "stretch factor" S = z+1 is the factor by which distances and wavelengths have been increased since the moment when the light was emitted. If z = 2 that means S = 3, which means that distances and wavelengths are 3 times what they were when the light (which we receive today) was emitted.
You should practice with the calculator, I think. At least a little. If you are interested in z = 11.9, that means S = 12.9 and you can set the upper limit "S
upper" to 12.9 and calculate.
The calculator embodies the standard cosmic model (LambdaCDM).
S=1 corresponds to the PRESENT because there is no enlargement of either wavelengths or distances.
You can change the number of steps, so as to get higher time-resolution, or S-resolution.
You can trim the future part of the table so that it does not go as far as S = 0.01 (that is when distances will be 100 times what they are at present, or present wavelengths and distances will be only 1% what they will be at that distant time in future.
You can set S
lower = 0.5 and only go a little ways into future, or even set S
lower = 1 and eliminate the future from the table entirely.
the default S
upper is 1090 which corresponds to the origin of the CMB, the ancient light of the cosmic microwave background. this is not so good if you are only interested in stars and galaxies. You could change it to 12 and not go so far into the past.
I'm interested in your reaction to this table-making calculator. It was built and put on line by Burt Jordaan, "Jorrie", a retired aerospace engineer who got interested in cosmology.