How Do Film Badges Used in Nuclear Plants Respond to Microwave Radiation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
BillJx
Someone told me that the film badges used in nuclear plants respond to microwave radiation from microwave ovens, as well as to the ionizing radiation they're intended for. I don't understand how this could work. Can someone explain it, or is it just not true?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Film badges don't respond to microwaves.
I don't know about TLDs - they are read and reset by heat so I suppose if you put them in a microwave they could respond.
 
I suspect heating of the film may darken it. Ask your dentist for some film and try it. It has a Pb backing that, I suspect, must be removed.

TLD devices are read by heating, which releases the stored energy from the irradiation. A photo-sensitive device does the reading. This is how Nagasaki / Hiroshima radiation was much later measured from pottery (roof tiles?)

bc