How do I fit a sine wave to sound probe data with uncertainty in the coefficients?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
oxnume
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
We did a lab that involved using sound probes that gave us a bunch of data points which we were able to plot into a waveform using excel. However, we have to determine the equation of the waveform and it is expected that we include the uncertainty of the coefficients (much like using the LINEST command in excel) so is there a way to do trig regression in excel or maybe MAPLE (which I already have but don't know how to use)?
 
Attachments
  • graph.png
    graph.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am actually looking for the same thing too! Anyone knows how to?
 
Why bother? Measure/calculate/estimate the period, amplitude, phase and DC offset and you can get a good approximation from that. The plot looks fairly noise free and consistent in its data.