How do I solve for the solutions of sin 2θ = sin θ in degrees?

  • Thread starter Thread starter patriots1049
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Trigonometric
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
patriots1049
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


sin 2θ = sin θ Find the solutions in degrees.


Homework Equations



sin 2θ = 2sinθcosθ

The Attempt at a Solution


sin 2θ = sin θ
2sinθcosθ = sin θ
sinθ *cosθ/sin θ = 1

That's as far as I can get, and I think that is wrong. How do I procede from 2sinθcosθ = sin θ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
patriots1049 said:

Homework Statement


sin 2θ = sin θ Find the solutions in degrees.


Homework Equations



sin 2θ = 2sinθcosθ

The Attempt at a Solution


sin 2θ = sin θ
2sinθcosθ = sin θ
One obvious possibility is [itex]sin(\theta)= 0[/itex]. What values of [itex]\theta[/itex] give that?
IF [itex]sin(\theta)\ne 0[/itex], you can divide by it.

sinθ *cosθ/sin θ = 1
So cancel the [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex]s, giving [itex]cos(\theta)= 1[/math]. What values of [itex]\theta[/itex] give that?<br /> <br /> <blockquote data-attributes="" data-quote="" data-source="" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch"> <div class="bbCodeBlock-content"> <div class="bbCodeBlock-expandContent js-expandContent "> That's as far as I can get, and I think that is wrong. How do I procede from 2sinθcosθ = sin θ? </div> </div> </blockquote>[/itex]
 
Therefore the answer would be 0 degrees and 180 degrees? The book states that answers must greater or equal to one and less than 360.