1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I write a Valedictory speech?

1. Jan 28, 2014 #1

sheldonrocks97

Gold Member

I know this is a little bit off-topic, but I need some academic advice:

I was officially named the valedictorian of my high school class today so now I have to start writing my valedictory speech. I honestly have no idea where to start. I was just wondering what I should say and where I should start.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Congrats! That's impressive. :smile:

Valedictorian speeches can be over a broad range of topics. I've heard motivational ones, "looking back at the best times in high school" ones, addressing current events, etc. I think it can be a mix of your passions and memories of HS, as well as encouraging your fellow classmates to carry on and do great things in their next few years...

You should be able to find some good ideas with Google. Also, be sure to check with your teachers to find out what the rules are about the speech content. They may not allow controversial issues to be brought up, for example.

4. Jan 28, 2014 #3

sheldonrocks97

Gold Member

Thank you! I suppose I possibly could address a couple of topics in the speech. That'll work if it's allowed.

5. Jan 28, 2014 #4
    We were given specific instructions in our salutatorian/valedictorian speeches. Salutatorian should reflect back on what has already passed and valedictorian should speak about the future and things to come.

You could always ask your school administration for suggestions if you are lost.

6. Jan 28, 2014 #5

sheldonrocks97

Gold Member

That makes things pretty clear, thanks!

7. Jan 28, 2014 #6
    Don't feel pigeonholed into that suggestion, though. That was just my school's instruction.

8. Jan 28, 2014 #7

sheldonrocks97

Gold Member

Okay, I'll see what they have to say.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook