How do I write a Valedictory speech?

• Thread starter sheldonrocks97
  • Start date
In summary, congratulations on being named the valedictorian! I think you should be able to find some good ideas for your speech from Google and your teachers.
sheldonrocks97
Gold Member
I know this is a little bit off-topic, but I need some academic advice:

I was officially named the valedictorian of my high school class today so now I have to start writing my valedictory speech. I honestly have no idea where to start. I was just wondering what I should say and where I should start.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
sheldonrocks97 said:
I know this is a little bit off-topic, but I need some academic advice:

I was officially named the valedictorian of my high school class today so now I have to start writing my valedictory speech. I honestly have no idea where to start. I was just wondering what I should say and where I should start.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Congrats! That's impressive. :smile:

Valedictorian speeches can be over a broad range of topics. I've heard motivational ones, "looking back at the best times in high school" ones, addressing current events, etc. I think it can be a mix of your passions and memories of HS, as well as encouraging your fellow classmates to carry on and do great things in their next few years...

You should be able to find some good ideas with Google. Also, be sure to check with your teachers to find out what the rules are about the speech content. They may not allow controversial issues to be brought up, for example.

Thank you! I suppose I possibly could address a couple of topics in the speech. That'll work if it's allowed.

We were given specific instructions in our salutatorian/valedictorian speeches. Salutatorian should reflect back on what has already passed and valedictorian should speak about the future and things to come.

You could always ask your school administration for suggestions if you are lost.

That makes things pretty clear, thanks!

Don't feel pigeonholed into that suggestion, though. That was just my school's instruction.

Okay, I'll see what they have to say.

What is a Valedictory speech?

A Valedictory speech is a speech given by a student who is graduating and is considered the farewell address to their classmates, teachers, and school community. It is typically delivered at the end of the graduation ceremony.

How do I structure my Valedictory speech?

A Valedictory speech should have a clear introduction, body, and conclusion. The introduction should include a thank you to the school, teachers, and classmates. The body should focus on reflecting on your experiences and memories while in school. The conclusion should end with a message of hope and gratitude.

What tone should I use in my Valedictory speech?

The tone of a Valedictory speech should be sincere, grateful, and reflective. It is important to avoid being too formal or too casual. Use a conversational tone and remember to speak from the heart.

How long should my Valedictory speech be?

Most Valedictory speeches are between 5-10 minutes long. It is important to keep your speech concise and avoid rambling. Practice your speech beforehand to ensure it fits within the allotted time.

How can I make my Valedictory speech memorable?

To make your Valedictory speech memorable, try to incorporate personal anecdotes and stories. You can also include humor, but make sure it is appropriate and not offensive. Additionally, use quotes or references that are meaningful to you and your classmates.