How Do You Balance the Equation for Copper (II) Chloride Dihydrate and Aluminum?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jessica.so
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chemical
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 13K views
jessica.so
Messages
20
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Copper (II) Chloride dihydrate is mixed with solid aluminum. Find the products and balance the equation.


Homework Equations


N/A


The Attempt at a Solution


The original equation that I got was:
CuCl2 ∙ 2H2O + Al --> AlCl3 + Cu + H2O
When I balanced it, I got:
3 CuCl2 ∙ 2H2O + 2 Al --> 2 AlCl3 + 3 Cu + 2 H2O
but I'm unsure about that. I am just wondering if the H2O at the end of the equation should have a coefficient of 6 because 3 [CuCl2 ∙ 2 H2O] were needed. So then the equation would be:
3 CuCl2 ∙ 2H2O + 2 Al --> 2 AlCl3 + 3 Cu + 6 H2O instead?
I do not know which one is correct. Please help me!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Should be 6.

Note that CuCl2.2H2O is equivalent to CuCl2(H2O)2 or even CuCl2H4O2.