How Do You Determine m/z Values for Fragmentation in Mass Spectrometry?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Deoxygenation
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass Spectrum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Deoxygenation
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Mass Spectrum * Fragmentation:

1. The problem, I've been having is how to tell a certain m/z (mass per a charge) value for fragmentation. Like the examples they give in the book have the values, but then we are expected to know the values of diffrent compounds, that aren't even in the book, thus I think there must be a method in finding that m/z value without any experimental test.

Example they give in the book is like 2,2-dimethylpropane and 2-methylbutane, which I know, one fragmentation will form a tertiary, which value they give is m/z = 57 and then the second one will form a primary and a secondary fragmentation m/z = 71, but I'm confused how they get the m/z values.


Thanks for any help given, its just confuses me, they don't even tell how they got that value, just give it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Please elaborate. For a given fragment you just calculate its molar mass and divide it by the fragment charge. Fragment charge is always a low integer - like 1 or 2. But I don't think that's what you are asking.
 
You know I just figured it out while looking at it, heheh. The word molar mass got to me figure that out and go ohhh, they want the molar mass per a charge, hehe, ok I got it now :+)

Sorry about the confusing question, but I got it now, thanks :+)