How Do You Determine the Period of a Graph with Unequal Maximums and Minimums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter priceofcarrot
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Graph Period
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
priceofcarrot
Messages
32
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



So my book has a bunch of examples of graphs similar to sine or cosine graphs, where the maximums and minimums are the same (for example, the maximums might be 1, and the minimums will be -1). If I only have a graph to work with, I will just look at the waves and determine the period from that. But how do I determine the period of a graph that has unequal maximum and minimums? For example, all the maximums may be 7, but all the minimums will be 2. How do I determine the period of a graph like this, if I only have the graph to work with? Do I just move the graph so that its center is at the x axis? Is there anyway to determine the period of a graph like this without using graphing software to reposition the graph to the x axis? If I have to redraw it it could be difficult.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org


priceofcarrot said:

Homework Statement



So my book has a bunch of examples of graphs similar to sine or cosine graphs, where the maximums and minimums are the same (for example, the maximums might be 1, and the minimums will be -1).

If I only have a graph to work with, I will just look at the waves and determine the period from that. But how do I determine the period of a graph that has unequal maximum and minimums? For example, all the maximums may be 7, but all the minimums will be 2. How do I determine the period of a graph like this, if I only have the graph to work with? Do I just move the graph so that its center is at the x axis? Is there anyway to determine the period of a graph like this without using graphing software to reposition the graph to the x axis? If I have to redraw it it could be difficult.
...

Thanks

What is the definition of the period of a periodic function?
 


Oh god that's embarrassing.. Lol

Sorry, I just checked my work today and can't believe that I asked this question.

Thanks