How Do You Simplify f(x+h) for f(x) = x^3 - 7x^2 + x + 1?

  • Thread starter Thread starter psp101
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Function
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
psp101
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



evaluate f(x+h) expand and simplfy f(x)=x^3-7x^2+x+1?


Homework Equations


f(x+h)


The Attempt at a Solution


my attempt (f(x+h)+f(x)+1
x^2(x+h)+x+1
x^2(x+7)+x1
im lost I'm not sure how to do this
 
Physics news on Phys.org
LCKurtz said:
Replace the x's with x+h and simplify.

o really so is it like

f(x)=(x+h)^3-7(x+h)^2+(x+h)+1
then I simplify
 
psp101 said:
o really so is it like

f(x)=(x+h)^3-7(x+h)^2+(x+h)+1
then I simplify

Yes.


J-Girl said:
yeah but the original equation is usually set up at(when u are evaluating the limit) (x+h)-f(x), so you have to minus the original function from the (x+h)^3-7(x+h)^2+(x+h)+1, you will just end up with the first derivative.

No you won't. There is more to it than that, and that's not what psp101 asked anyway.