How does a magnetic coupling work?

In summary, a magnetic coupling is a way to transmit torque through a sealed vacuum chamber using magnets on both sides of a pressure boundary. It can be set up either around a cylinder or a flat disk, with a non-magnetic barrier in between. While it may be possible to construct one with neodymium magnets, it is recommended to purchase one from a supplier. Other applications of magnetic couplings include using them for high-speed disc braking in cars.
Webbd050
Is it just a series of attracting magnets in a circle?

Likes Great Magtech
Engineering news on Phys.org
It rather depends on just what you mean by “a magnetic coupling”.
It could be a series of magnets or it could be constructed more like an electric motor.
We need more context before we can provide a more definitive answer.
Can you provide an example application or a web link to the particular device ?

Likes Great Magtech
Basically what i have is a hermetically sealed vacuum chamber but i need to transmit torque via a shaft to and from a flywheel inside. The 2 ways i can see to do this is just having a seal on the shaft which might leak and cause a lot of friction or transmitting the torque through the wall of the chamber via a magnetic coupling but i don't fully understand how they work or whether they are available to buy. could i just construct my own with some neodymium magnet do you think? Thanks for the reply :)

Likes Great Magtech
You're correct, a magnetic coupling transmits torque by using magnets on both sides of some pressure boundary.

The magnets can either be set up around a cylinder:
mag_coupling_3d.jpg

Or around a flat disk:
magnetic-coupling.jpg

Obviously there is a non-magnetic pressure boundary that will be placed between the two. The distance between the magnets will dictate how much torque you can transmit for any given application but if you're only transmitting through a wall that has a differential pressure of one atmosphere, you won't have any problems. I've seen them used in applications where the pressure is many hundreds of psi.

You can purchase them off the shelf so I wouldn't try and design your own. Just do a search on magnetic couplings and you'll find all sorts of suppliers.

Likes Great Magtech
That great thanks mate :)

Likes Great Magtech
Webbd050 said:
Basically what i have is a hermetically sealed vacuum chamber but i need to transmit torque via a shaft to and from a flywheel inside.
The internal flywheel bearings are going to be a problem. Rolling bearings fail very rapidly in a vacuum. Lead dust or silver powder has been used to lubricate ball bearings for rotating anodes in X-ray tubes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-ray_tube#Rotating_anode_tube
Maybe you can combine magnetic bearings with your magnetic coupling.

Likes Great Magtech
Thats a good point, i hadn't thought of that. So are you saying the coupling would support it one end and then another magnetic bearing at the other to support that? The system would be in use on a car would using magnetic bearings not lead to the flywheel wobbling after bumps in the road? I was planning to have magnetic bearings central to support the weight of the flywheel without much friction and then ordinary bearings to the sides to stabilise the flywheel but there's still the vacuum problem would ceramic bearings work in a vacuum?

Likes Great Magtech
There will need to be some form of variable torque to RPM transformation in a flywheel energy storage system. That may best be done using electrical coupling. By placing a motor/generator inside the vacuum chamber you then only need to get the electrical conductors or the magnetic field through the wall.

By trying to guess what I meant, you may come up with a new and better solution.
I have no simple answer. I can only apologise for playing the Devil's advocate here.
Technology advances when new combinations of ideas are implemented.

Likes Great Magtech
Baluncore makes a good point about grease in a vacuum but I guess that begs the question, what vacuum level are you trying to attain? There are a lot of greases that have very low vapor pressure to avoid outgassing. Try google.

Likes Great Magtech
Webbd050 said:
Is it just a series of attracting magnets in a circle?
yes,
Webbd050 said:
That great thanks mate :)
Webbd050 said:
Basically what i have is a hermetically sealed vacuum chamber but i need to transmit torque via a shaft to and from a flywheel inside. The 2 ways i can see to do this is just having a seal on the shaft which might leak and cause a lot of friction or transmitting the torque through the wall of the chamber via a magnetic coupling but i don't fully understand how they work or whether they are available to buy. could i just construct my own with some neodymium magnet do you think? Thanks for the reply :)
As our experience, it is not easy to do the magnetic coupling, by your own, because of the maching and manufacturing tools. anyway, there are so many supplier online offer http://www.greatmagtech.com/product_cat_list/Neodymium-Magnets-c21605.html and the shaft or steel shell. you can search it online.

Last edited:
the pictures is very
Q_Goest said:
You're correct, a magnetic coupling transmits torque by using magnets on both sides of some pressure boundary.

The magnets can either be set up around a cylinder:
mag_coupling_3d.jpg

Or around a flat disk:
magnetic-coupling.jpg

Obviously there is a non-magnetic pressure boundary that will be placed between the two. The distance between the magnets will dictate how much torque you can transmit for any given application but if you're only transmitting through a wall that has a differential pressure of one atmosphere, you won't have any problems. I've seen them used in applications where the pressure is many hundreds of psi.

You can purchase them off the shelf so I wouldn't try and design your own. Just do a search on magnetic couplings and you'll find all sorts of suppliers.
the pictures are vivid and lively.

I was looking into this myself some time ago, and having two stators of magnets seems odd to me, I was thinking more about how it is done as magnetic damping (dampening).

If you have two aluminium discs with magnets fitted to one of the discs on the fact, you rotate one, and the other will follow it, due to the eddy currents generated in the disc.

I have also seen this used for high speed disc breaking in fast cars, as you don't get friction heat, and the higher the speed (rate of change) the more effect happens.

This youtube shows this effect.

Darryl said:
If you have two aluminium discs with magnets fitted to one of the discs on the fact, you rotate one, and the other will follow it, due to the eddy currents generated in the disc.
You have reinvented the induction motor where a conductive rotor is dragged by a rotating magnetic field. You can achieve the same by using a three phase field winding rather than permanent magnets. With 3 phase AC you can better control the speed and do not need external moving parts.

Darryl said:
I have also seen this used for high speed disc breaking in fast cars, as you don't get friction heat, and the higher the speed (rate of change) the more effect happens.
The energy released while braking still appears as heat in the conductive disc. That is because eddy currents induced in the disc release heat proportional to I2R. The advantage of eddy current braking is that there is no friction material to wear out or burn. The disc can be more efficiently air cooled if there are no hot friction pads insulating it from the air. Changes in disc surface due to contamination, water or changes in the metal are also largely eliminated.

1. How does a magnetic coupling transfer torque between two objects?

A magnetic coupling works by using two magnets, one on each object, which are aligned in opposite directions. When one magnet rotates, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the other magnet, causing it to rotate in the same direction. This transfer of rotational force is how torque is transferred between the two objects.

2. What materials are used to create a magnetic coupling?

The most common materials used to create a magnetic coupling are permanent magnets, such as neodymium or ceramic magnets, and ferromagnetic materials, such as iron or steel. These materials have strong magnetic properties that allow for efficient torque transfer.

3. Can a magnetic coupling work without physical contact between the two objects?

Yes, a magnetic coupling can work without physical contact between the two objects. This is because the magnetic fields of the two magnets can interact with each other through a small air gap, allowing for torque to be transferred without any physical connection.

4. How does the strength of the magnets affect the performance of a magnetic coupling?

The strength of the magnets used in a magnetic coupling directly affects its performance. Stronger magnets will have a greater magnetic field and therefore can transfer torque more efficiently. However, using very strong magnets can also create a risk of the two objects becoming stuck together, which can be difficult to separate.

5. Can a magnetic coupling be used in any environment?

Magnetic couplings can be used in a variety of environments, but they are most commonly used in applications that require non-contact torque transfer, such as in underwater machinery or in high-temperature environments. However, they may not be suitable for use in environments with high levels of vibration or shock, as this can affect the alignment of the magnets and reduce their efficiency.