How Does Gravitational Time Dilation Work?

In summary, gravitational time dilation refers to the difference in time experienced by objects in different gravitational fields. This phenomenon is caused by the fact that being in a gravitational field is the same as accelerating, which can cause time dilation. In the case of black holes, as an object falls towards it, time appears to slow down for an outside observer while the object itself does not experience any change in time. This is due to the fact that time is always normal in an individual frame of reference, but it is only when comparing two frames that the effects of time dilation become apparent.
Blingles
I have to learn about general relativity and to understand that, I need to know gravitational time dilation.

I heard that time on Earth and time in space is different by few nanoseconds.
How can time be different? Why does time go slowly in certain gravitational fields?

Also, how can time be infinite in black holes? I was searching for the easiest answer possible online but I can't find anything, so I decided to post here.

I'm not advanced, so I would appreciate the easiest answers that I can understand.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Blingles said:
Why does time go slowly in certain gravitational fields?

One way of thinking about it is that being in a graviational field is the same thing as accelerating and if you are accelerating it causes some time dilation.

Also, how can time be infinite in black holes? I was searching for the easiest answer possible online but I can't find anything, so I decided to post here.

Suppose you have a flashing light that goes off at one pulse per second. You have a friend that is far away, and he will see the flashing lights arrive at one pulse per second.

Now let's do this experiment on earth. You have your flashing light going off at one pulse per second, but your friend that is far away will see the pulses going at a little more than one pulse per second. It's a few microseconds, but it is something that you can actually measure with GPS satellites.

Now let's go into the black hole. As you get nearer to the event horizon, your friend will see the pulses flash at slower and slower speed. Once you cross the event horizon, your friend will no longer see the pulses at all. You could sort of say that time is slowing down for you. However, even if as you fall into the black hole, you'll see your flashing light flash at one pulse per second, and you won't notice anything odd.

Hypothetically speaking, someone could be standing on star X looking at star Y while the person standing on star Y is looking at star X and both people could time the life of each others stars with a stopwatch. Maybe star X is much more massive, so it will die faster, but it also will dilate time and cause the person standing on it to perceive time slower. It is then possible for both people to claim that each others stars lived for the same amount of time, while a third observer can exclaim that one star died much faster than the other. (sorry that was just an example not an explanation)

Also twofish I would greatly appreciate any help coming up with a mathematical example of this, I am having trouble calculating time dilation.

The exact WHY of your question isn't explainable without knowing some things about Spacetime and such, but we can explain WHAT it is easily.

Put simply, time WILL be slower for an observer inside a greater gravitational field compared to an observer in a lesser gravitational field. (All gravitational fields, not just certain ones) This means that if I am in space in orbit around the earth, then my clock will be ticking faster to you than your own clock is down on the ground. This is only talking about Gravitational Time Dilation, and not dilation due to velocity. In reality it is the sum of both the satellites speed and the effect of gravity that make the actual amount of time dilation what it is.

Now, the key here is that to the observer in orbit (Me), I will not experience ANY difference in time for myself. My clock still ticks exactly as it should to me. From my point of view it is YOUR clock that has been altered and is now running SLOWER than mine is.

If you take that situation and apply it to a Black Hole, then you will see that in any frame that is falling into a black hole an observer in that frame will not have any change in their perception of time. They keep falling into the black hole at an increasing speed.

However, if you were watching me fall towards a Black Hole, then to you it would look like time got slower and slower for me as I got closer and closer to it.

The key to all this, in my opinion, is to understand that if you look at ANY individual frame of reference, time for that frame is always normal. It is only when you compare one frame to another frame that the effect happens. This is what we mean when we say that time is Relative.

I am happy to explain the concept of gravitational time dilation to you. Gravitational time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes how gravity affects the fabric of space and time.

To understand gravitational time dilation, we first need to understand that time is not a constant, but rather a relative concept. In other words, time can flow at different rates in different situations. This is because time is affected by the presence of mass and gravity. The more massive an object is, the stronger its gravitational pull and the more it warps the fabric of space and time.

Now, let's consider the example of a clock placed on Earth's surface and a clock placed in space. According to general relativity, the clock on Earth's surface is experiencing a stronger gravitational pull compared to the clock in space. This means that time is passing more slowly for the clock on Earth's surface compared to the clock in space. This difference in the passage of time is what we call gravitational time dilation.

As for your question about time being infinite in black holes, it is important to note that black holes are regions of space where the gravitational pull is so strong that not even light can escape. This intense gravitational pull causes a significant warping of space and time, resulting in an infinite curvature of spacetime. This means that time comes to a standstill at the center of a black hole, where the gravitational pull is at its strongest.

I hope this explanation has helped you understand the concept of gravitational time dilation. It is a complex concept, but with an open and curious mind, you can continue to learn more about it. I encourage you to read more about general relativity and gravitational time dilation to deepen your understanding.

1. What is gravitational time dilation?

Gravitational time dilation is a phenomenon where time moves slower in a strong gravitational field compared to a weaker gravitational field. This means that a clock placed in a stronger gravitational field will tick slower than a clock placed in a weaker gravitational field.

2. How does gravitational time dilation occur?

Gravitational time dilation occurs due to the curvature of space-time caused by massive objects. This curvature causes time to slow down as it approaches the massive object, resulting in a difference in the passage of time compared to a location with lower gravitational force.

3. Can we observe gravitational time dilation on Earth?

Yes, we can observe gravitational time dilation on Earth, but the effect is very small. It has been observed with precise atomic clocks placed at different altitudes, with the clock at higher altitude ticking slightly faster due to the weaker gravitational force.

4. How is gravitational time dilation related to Einstein's Theory of General Relativity?

Einstein's Theory of General Relativity explains that gravity is not a force between masses, but rather the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of mass. This curvature causes the phenomenon of gravitational time dilation.

5. Can gravitational time dilation affect the aging process?

Yes, gravitational time dilation can affect the aging process. The time dilation experienced by astronauts in space due to the weaker gravitational force can result in them aging slightly slower compared to people on Earth. This effect is very small and only noticeable with very precise atomic clocks.