How does one describe the energy of space to the public?

In summary, Richard Feynman suggests that in physics, we have no real understanding of what energy is, it is an abstract concept used as an accounting system. It is something that is begging for an answer, and has been explored by scientists such as Galileo. Feynman also mentions that even physicists struggle to explain energy, and it may be difficult to explain to the general public. In modern theory, empty space has potential energy but it cannot be harnessed as it is at its lowest possible state. The discrepancy only arises when trying to equate this vacuum energy with the observed dark energy.
solarblast
See Subject. How does one simply explain that space is permeated by energy and what it represents? Feynman mentions that we really do not know what it is, but yet we do know how the calculate it. How do we know that it's there (in space)?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What do you mean by the "energy of space" Do we really have a self-consistent theory that the physics community agrees on? I think the answer is no. If that's the case, should we be trying to explain it to the public?

Feynman mentions that we really do not know what it is, but yet we do know how the calculate it.
If he meant vacuum energy, there's an appropriate saying where I come from: you can't misguess as badly as you can miscalculate. (my translation, feel free to correct it)

Even with renormalization the vacuum energy calculated by QFT is something like 120 orders of magnitude off from the real value...I don't think we can exactly explain something even physicists don't know much about to the general public...

To be specific,

"It is important to realize that in physics today, we have no knowledge of what energy is ... It is an abstract thing ..." -- Richard Feynman

In his Character of Physical Laws, he pretty much suggests it's an accounting system. He gives some simple examples with a child misplacing balls in his room, and his mother figuring out the number missing. Galileo hints at something abstract with a ball rolling down a ramp and up another ramp to the same height (almost). That was probably the beginning of the idea. It was something begging for an answer. Another related idea is entropy. It's a property of matter, and one can talk (briefly!) about orderliness. The, of course, there's E=mc**2.

I guess for the public or layman, some hand waving is needed. My need is really not to lecture or provide a simple talk exclusively about energy. It's to give some credence to it when generally talking about with respect to space and the universe.

To be fair, most of the public thinks of energy as glowy flowy stuff. As in "it's made of pure energy!" Most people also don't understand calculus or what an integral is. So trying to explain vacuum energy to them in a physically acceptable way is probably off the table.

The only way I can think of is to say something like: "When you look really closely, space is like the ocean; it has waves that push and pull, but over time they push equally in all directions, so if you zoom out they aren't really noticeable."

Not a bad analogy. I may use it.

Under modern theory empty space has potential energy. But, you cannot extract useful energy from empty space, it is already at the lowest possible energy state. Calling it zero is merely an accounting convenience. It does not matter what it 'really' is, only that it is zero relative to matter.

Matterwave said:
Even with renormalization the vacuum energy calculated by QFT is something like 120 orders of magnitude off from the real value...I don't think we can exactly explain something even physicists don't know much about to the general public...

Isn't this discrepancy only when you try to equate the vacuum energy with the observed dark energy?

1. What is the energy of space?

The energy of space refers to the underlying force that governs the behavior and movement of all objects in the universe. It is a fundamental concept in physics that helps us understand the dynamics of the universe and the interactions between matter and energy.

2. How is the energy of space measured?

The energy of space is often measured in terms of the density of matter and radiation in a given space. It can also be measured through the study of gravitational fields and the effects they have on the movement of objects.

3. Is the energy of space constant?

According to the laws of physics, the energy of space is believed to be constant. This means that it does not change over time or vary in different regions of the universe. However, there are theories that suggest that the energy of space may not be constant, and this is an area of ongoing research.

4. How does the energy of space affect the universe?

The energy of space plays a crucial role in the expansion of the universe. It is responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe, which was first observed in the late 1990s. It also affects the formation and movement of celestial bodies, such as stars and galaxies.

5. Can the energy of space be harnessed?

Currently, there is no known way to harness the energy of space for practical use. However, scientists are constantly exploring new technologies and theories that could potentially tap into this energy source in the future.