MTd2
Gold Member
- 2,019
- 25
What composites?
MTd2 said:What composites?
the first paper [...] that used Quaternionic SU(2) symmetry to describe the mechanism whereby two charged SU(2) bosons get mass, and the electromagnetic field is unified with the SU(2) bosons. Their paper effectively did the "Higgs Mechanism" before Higgs, and did ElectroWeak Unification before Glashow,Salam, and Weinberg
S.Daedalus said:But this brings us right to the quaternionic and octonionic extensions of quantum mechanics discussed earlier! So, could there be a connection? (Probably not, but it's just the kind of '...but what if?'-thing that sometimes goes through my head at night...) In particular, since I've always liked the 'spacetime is made of qubits'-idea from Weizsäcker's ur-theory, to look for 'inner space' in entanglement between urs seems somehow appealing to me... But I realize this is just far-out speculation.
I only know of the paper 'Non-Associativity as Gravity' by Dorofeev, which I don't think is particularly convincing. Personally, and somewhat off-topic, I consider the recent paper by Jacobson, 'Gravitation and Vacuum Entanglement Entropy', which identifies entanglement entropy with the Bekenstein-Hawking entropy (under certain assumptions, such as its non-divergence), and then uses Jacobson's old thermodynamic argument to get the EFEs, much more promising...friend said:To be complete, is there any way to derive GR from the division algebras?
It could be something to do with how you get 11-dimensional M-theory from 26-dimensional bosonic string theory.arivero said:On a different theme, I do not know of a relevant role for the third hopf fibration, with S15 sitting there.
You get the (one-loop) partition function for bosonic strings...arivero said:So, what happens with 4-qubits etc?
I thought maybe it's just that you need bioctonions for one full generation (a single octonion -- or split octonion -- in the Günaydin/Gürsey scheme incorporates only one flavor). There's another interesting paper I didn't mention earlier, 'Freudenthal Triple Classification of Three Qubit Entanglement' by Borsten et al., which collects the qubits into the Freudenthal triple [itex]\mathfrak{M}(J)=\mathbb{C}\oplus\mathbb{C}\oplus J \oplus J[/itex] over the Jordan algebra [itex]J =\mathbb{C}\oplus\mathbb{C}\oplus\mathbb{C}[/itex], and identifies the entanglement classes with the rank of its elements; but those elements are of the form of (complex) Zorn matrices, i.e. bioctonions. Not sure if it means anything, but it's kinda neat.On a different theme, I do not know of a relevant role for the third hoft fibration, with S15 sitting there.
I think to remember that the introduction to Adler's book discusses this point. Regretly it is not in my local library.S.Daedalus said:On another note, I read somewhere (though I don't recall where) that the original octonionic/quaternionic quantum mechanics scheme fell out of favor for some reason
Our university library has it, so I'll have a look, thanks for the pointer!arivero said:I think to remember that the introduction to Adler's book discusses this point. Regretly it is not in my local library.
I had the book on my radar, your recommendation bumped it to the top of the list, and it's certainly very interesting, though I'm not sure I buy into all of it. He proposes some Harari-Shupe like preon model, which I've decided I'm not a great fan of, and I'm also not sure about the idea of a quaternion quantum mechanics underlying complex QM. Though it's interesting that the S-matrix is complex, asymptotically at least -- perhaps one could think of this as a mechanism for dimensional reduction, i.e. macroscopic experimenters only 'see' the 3+1 dimensional world associated with the complex numbers, instead of the quaternionic 5+1 (in my own vague ruminations, I have supposed that this role is played by the fact that quantum correlations only get weaker by admixture of states -- i.e. genuine tri- or bipartite entanglement generally doesn't survive to the macroscopic level, effectively reducing octonions and 9+1 dimensional space time to complex numbers and 3+1 dimensions...).arivero said:I am happy to know that Adler had some valuable info; I really was doing a partly blind shot, as I had read it in 2006 last time.
Interesting, but how is mass related to the octonion roots?In a private comunication from someone (perhaps M Porter? Other?), I have been told about seeing octonions as a set of 8 roots, 7 of them imaginary, the other the trivial 1, and then arguing that this 7+1 decomposition could be used to explain why 12 out of 96 states of the particle spectrum (ie 1 out of 8) have peculiar mass properties. Perhaps the 1 is to be related to the 12 neutrino states, perhapt to the 12 top quark states.
I think I don't understand this stuff well enough to comment much... Perhaps there's some relation to the non-compact Hopf maps defined using the split-algebras (see here)?...Final rumiation, I have already mentioned it in this tread, and a lot elsewhere, but perhaps not enough in this one: Michael Atiyah, Jurgen Berndt http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0206135 should be the tool to explain why colour is SU(3) and not SO(5), and the contexts for it is either RHCO or Hoft (-like) fibrations with S4 (and CP2, resp) base spaces.
Oh, that one slipped past me! I'm usually on the lookout for Baez' stuff, so thanks for the pointer...mitchell porter said:Yes, that was me... Baez and Huerta have a connection between the imaginary split octonions and the group G2. Someone tell Gordon Kane!
S.Daedalus said:Interesting, but how is mass related to the octonion roots?
friend said:Is there any way to extract a real number from the quaternions and octonions like there is for complex numbers? In complex numbers we can multiply by the complex conjugate to get a real number. Is there an analogous procedure for quaternions and octonions?
S.Daedalus said:Now this is quite a surprising way for the division algebras to turn up in entanglement! In particular, this appears to allow us to consider a two-qubit state as a single quaternionic qubit, and similarly, a three-qubit state as a single octonionic qubit ... an analogous construction works for the three-qubit case). (The connection between Hopf fibrations and qubits over division algebras was also noticed in the paper 'Extremal Black Holes as Qudits', by M. Rios who I think posts here occasionally.)
But this brings us right to the quaternionic and octonionic extensions of quantum mechanics discussed earlier! So, could there be a connection? (Probably not, but it's just the kind of '...but what if?'-thing that sometimes goes through my head at night...) In particular, since I've always liked the 'spacetime is made of qubits'-idea from Weizsäcker's ur-theory, to look for 'inner space' in entanglement between urs seems somehow appealing to me... But I realize this is just far-out speculation.
Well, this M-theory stuff is a bit of a learning curve for me, but perhaps you might find something in the works of Francesco Toppan, who has looked into it from an octonionic perspective, in particular maybe this[/PLAIN] paper:arivero said:Thus I was inclined to look into the M2-brane M-5 brane duality, because its source is a tensor with 84 components. Does such duality (which is simply the Pascal Triangle equality between (9 2+1) and (9 5+1)) has some parallel in octonions?
On the Octonionic M-superalgebra said:The generalized supersymmetries admitting abelian bosonic tensorial central charges are classified in accordance with their division algebra structure [...]. It is shown in particular that in D=11 dimensions, the $M$-superalgebra admits a consistent octonionic formulation, involving 52 real bosonic generators (in place of the 528 of the standard $M$-superalgebra). The octonionic $M5$ (super-5-brane) sector coincides with the octonionic $M1$ and $M2$ sectors [...].
Ah, I'm glad you joined the discussion! I've been hoping to understand this whole black hole/qubit stuff better, but as I said, much of M/string theory is a bit above my paygrade, and I don't really have much time for digging into it as much as I would want to. I'll have a look at the paper you mention, and I'm interested exactly in what way quaternionic/octonionic QM turns up in M-theory (of course, if you have OP2 bundles, you think of the exceptional Jordan algebra), so I'd be happy if you have some pointers there (literature etc.)...kneemo said:Yes, there is a connection. Toroidally compactified M-theory and N=8 supergravity make use of (split) quaternionic and octonionic extensions of quantum mechanics. Moreover, if M-theory in d=11 does have hidden Cayley plane fibers arXiv:0807.4899, then M-theory becomes a d=27 theory inherently equipped with a 16-dimensional (over ℝ) octonionic qutrit state space.