How does tension affect sound pitch in 3rd grade sound energy lessons?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Mindy Ringkamp
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi, I need lessons for sound energy-How tension affects the pitch of sounds for 3rd grade.
Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
What is wrong with the lessons you have found so far?

The usual approach is practical... get some wire and some weights.
 
Mindy Ringkamp said:
Hi, I need lessons for sound energy-How tension affects the pitch of sounds for 3rd grade.
Thank you
Rather than looking into the topic of sound, you want to find material about standing waves on a string. The tension of the string affects how fast the waves can propagate, which in turn determines the frequency at which the standing waves vibrate.
 
How about some rubber band guitars?
Arts and crafts + physics (kinda)
 
Mindy Ringkamp said:
Hi, I need lessons for sound energy-How tension affects the pitch of sounds for 3rd grade.
Thank you

I don't see the relationship between 'energy' and 'pitch'. These are 3rd graders- I can understand exploring qualitative relationships between tension in a stretched string and oscillation frequency, but how are you discussing 'energy'?
 
I figured "sound energy" for the title of the curriculum unit being taught.