Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How empty are the voids in the universe?

1. Aug 25, 2009 #1
    What is the current measured density contrast inside the cosmological voids of radius about 30 Mpc? By measured I mean somebody constructed a density map based on peculiar velocities map or weak lensing.

I've read a Paper by L. da Costa - Astrophysical Journal 468, L5, 1996 - that constructed a density map of our neighbourhood (radius about 100 Mpc) based on measured peculiar velocities of galaxies. According to the density contours the matter (visible and dark) density inside the voids around us drops to about 20% of the average i.e. density contrast = -0.80.

Has anyone seen more recent paper that measure the matter density in the voids?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2009 #2
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Sep 2, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the articles. What I had in mind though was something like an update of the article I cited since its more than 10 years old.

The first article you posted talks about N-body simmulations of dark matter - I need actual measurements not simmulations of something that hasn't been detected directly yet.

The second article talks about voids in the Sloan Digital Sky Survey but there they talk about the underdensity of galaxies in voids, i.e. underdensity of visible matter while I'm interested in the total underdensity including visible and dark matter.

5. Sep 3, 2009 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook