How far away is a plane in the sky?

• Thread starter Johndigger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane Sky
In summary, two individuals were discussing how to determine the distance of a plane in the sky without knowing the angles. One suggested using the rule of similar triangles, but the other mentioned that the method may not be accurate due to the measurement technique used. However, in a textbook scenario, similar triangles can be used to determine the distance.
Johndigger
Ok, my brother & I were trying to work this out.

Without directly knowing the angles is it possible to work out how far away a plane is in the sky?

For example, a boeing 747 is about 70m long. It appeared to be about 0.001m holding out a ruler about 80cm from my eye.

I look forward to reading your replies.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Airliners at cruise are flying at an altitude between 30,000 feet and 40,000 feet 90% of the time.

Apply the rule of similar triangles.

As a purely practical thing, the mesurement method used makes any answer he's going to get from similar triangles meaningless. The error is likely to be an order of magnitude out. (at least)

But yeah, in a textbook case, similar triangles is the method.

I would say that it is not possible to accurately determine the distance of a plane in the sky without knowing the angles involved. Distance is typically measured by using a combination of angles and known dimensions, such as the size of the object. In this case, without knowing the angles at which the plane is being viewed, it would be difficult to accurately determine its distance. Additionally, factors such as atmospheric conditions and the plane's altitude can also affect its apparent size and distance. It may be helpful to use tools such as a rangefinder or a telescope to accurately measure the angles and calculate the distance of the plane.

1. How can you determine the distance of a plane in the sky?

The distance of a plane in the sky can be determined using a method called triangulation. This involves measuring the angle between the ground and the plane from two different points on the ground and using trigonometry to calculate the distance.

2. What tools or instruments are needed to measure the distance of a plane in the sky?

To measure the distance of a plane in the sky, you will need a protractor, a ruler, and a calculator. Some more advanced methods may require a theodolite or a laser rangefinder.

3. Can the distance of a plane in the sky be accurately measured?

Yes, using triangulation or other advanced methods, the distance of a plane in the sky can be accurately measured. However, factors such as weather conditions and the speed of the plane may affect the accuracy of the measurement.

4. Is there a limit to the distance that can be measured for a plane in the sky?

Yes, there is a limit to the distance that can be measured for a plane in the sky. This is because the angle between the ground and the plane becomes smaller as the plane moves farther away, making it more difficult to accurately measure the distance using triangulation.

5. Are there any other methods besides triangulation to determine the distance of a plane in the sky?

Yes, besides triangulation, there are other methods that can be used to determine the distance of a plane in the sky. These include using radar, satellite imaging, or GPS tracking systems. These methods are more accurate and can measure longer distances, but they also require more advanced equipment.