1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Admissions How important is my final transcript

1. Jan 11, 2017 #1
    I recently was accepted into OSU and am a little concerned because I have been a 4.0 student for the past 2-3 years but might graduate with a couple bs on my final transcript maybe even a c. Are they able to just decline me? If so how much slacking off would I have to do for that to happen. Seniorits is killing me

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2017 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Yes.

No way to tell. Well, there is one way to tell, but it's risky. It also is a one-sided test.

4. Jan 11, 2017 #3
    Should I be concerned that my gpa might be less in comparison? Also, would I benefit from calling them and asking this question?

5. Jan 11, 2017 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Why not just get off your butt and get good grades?

6. Jan 11, 2017 #5
    Ya I am from this point on, but I might be finishing the quarter with a couple bs and it's really bothering me. Second semester will be all As though guaranteed.

7. Jan 11, 2017 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Hi! I'm calling to find out the exact minimum amount of work I need to do to ensure you don't rescind my admission! Can you tell me that?

8. Jan 11, 2017 #7
    Ok obviously I didn't communicate properly and I'll take the blame on that one. The Bs and potential C are stuck, from this point on I will be getting all As. So its more like "Hi! I'm calling to find out if I'm already screwed and should give up on life."

9. Jan 11, 2017 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't think calling is going to do anything positive. Get the A's.

10. Jan 11, 2017 #9
    Ya see that was my plan originally, I'm asking how worried I should be about my situation because as of late I'm freaking out.

11. Jan 12, 2017 #10
    Well, if the Bs and C are going to happen anyway (since it sounds like they will), what would be the oint of calling them and asking if it's horrible? You can't fix it.

12. Jan 12, 2017 #11

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Dishsoap is right. Calling would be "ointless". :biggrin:

Seriously - what would it do besides draw attention to something that you don't want attention drawn to? It's like saying "don't think of a monkey" - you just did, didn't you?

13. Jan 12, 2017 #12
    Are you talking Ohio State in the US?

Most unis in the US are not going to rescind an admissions offer due to a couple Bs on the final transcript. Once the final date passes to accept an admissions offer (May 1 for most selective US institutions), institutions realize that if they dump you then you are majorly inconvenienced, because you can no longer accept another offer. Usually, getting an admissions offer rescinded after May 1 and after you have accepted requires:
    1. Not graduating from high school. Admissions offers are usually explicitly dependent on this. Documenting that you graduated is why they want and need that final transcript.
    2. Being convicted of a disqualifying crime.
    3. Violating their policy on telling the truth on your application: they think you defrauded them on the application or elsewhere in the process.

There may be other things, but they tend to be more serious than a couple of Bs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted