How is Solder Made? Learn the Process & Its Benefits

• I
  • Thread starter TNUTUNU
  • Start date
In summary: The solder is an alloy of tin and lead.The solder is an alloy of tin and lead. It is melted and then mixed with other materials to create it. Solder is used to connect different pieces of metal together.
TNUTUNU
Hello
How does solder is build what is inside it how engineer build it at high temperature it melt what is that liquid how it join two LEDs together and it join all wires,led,transformer,SMPS, regulator,IC,PCB
how to learn it
How LED emit energy in form of Good colors that are in all direction going to people eyes than brain understand it what is there from far all crowd go there as ask what you have and buy it.
after that LED color are not damage sing eyes.
How to build 100000000 of led dispaly

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow. So many questions.
TNUTUNU said:
How does solder is build what is inside it how engineer build it at high temperature it melt what is that liquid
Solder is an alloy of tin and lead.
TNUTUNU said:
how to learn it
learn what?o_O

Solder is an alloy of tin and lead.
How to build solder from it

TNUTUNU said:
How to build solder from it
Well, you melt lead and tin, than you mix them, then you got solder
TNUTUNU said:
How LED emit energy in form of Good colors that are in all direction going to people eyes than brain understand it what is there from far all crowd go there as ask what you have and buy it.
Well, I can't understand what you are talking about.
TNUTUNU said:
after that LED color are not damage sing eyes.
And this one too.

TNUTUNU said:
How does solder is build what is inside it how engineer build it at high temperature it melt what is that liquid how it join two LEDs together and it join all wires,led,transformer,SMPS, regulator,IC,PCB
how to learn it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solder
TNUTUNU said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode
TNUTUNU said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplexed_display

Google and Wikipedia are your friends! :smile:

Likes YoungPhysicist and jbriggs444
Hello
What is this Sn60Pb40 solder

TNUTUNU said:
What is this Sn60Pb40 solder
Solder with 60 percent tin and 40 percent lead
Sn = tin
Pb = lead

Hello
it mean tin and lead melt and make solder (join wire leds)
where tin and lead are found

There are companies that mix tin and lead to make solder. They also add an acid called flux. Solder does not stick to oxide. Flux remove the oxide.

Here is a video that explains how to solder...

Likes YoungPhysicist
CWatters said:
They also add an acid called flux
Acid core solder. Or resin core.
That is like the caramel bar ( remember the ad, how did they get the caramel in the caramel bar ? )
How did they get the core in the solder wire.?
A quick search turned nothing up.
But an extrusion process would be the guess.

Note a lot of solder is now 'lead free'. I grew up with the 'leaded' stuff, now struggle to make reliable joints...

Likes YoungPhysicist
Nik_2213 said:
Note a lot of solder is now 'lead free'. I grew up with the 'leaded' stuff, now struggle to make reliable joints...
Agree. Although lead is toxic,I really like solders with lead.They just flow so nicely on the joint, way better than lead free ones, and lead free ones are actually harder to get in my area than leaded ones.(I have no idea for why that happens)

Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur
TNUTUNU said:
Hello
it mean tin and lead melt and make solder (join wire leds)
where tin and lead are found
Is it your intention to mine the tin and lead ores yourself, smelt them down and alloy the metals into solder so that you can affix LED's to a display in front of the nuclear plant that you intend to similarly construct from scratch?

Likes YoungPhysicist
Nik_2213 said:

Well, lead free solder melts at a higher temperature so you either need an adjustable iron or hotter tips in the case of Weller or a different iron for lead free. In doing electrical work. I still use eutectic lead solder. I just think it is easier to work with lead solder and eutectic is reported to not develop tin whiskers so I know it’s less likely to develop shorts etc over time.

+1

Lead solder and good ventilation works for me. Much prefer it to lead free. With lead free I've had problems with the joint not wetting, as if the flux in the core wasn't working properly.

Tin and Lead are found in various minerals. examples: Tin in Cassiterite as Tin Oxide, Lead in Cerussite as Lead carbonate (from memory). Tin and Lead are extremely poisonous metals and their minerals are associated with very high levels of arsenic. Both minerals can be smelted by reduction but is extremely hazardous, likely to result in your death on the 1st attempt due to poisonous vapours. Usually it's done by electrolytic plating these days which is much safer and can process sulphide minerals that can't be smelted. This uses very strong acids to dissolve the minerals and still carries a serious vapour hazard. Don't mess with this, Seriously! Smelters are about the most hazardous work places there are and worker health issues abound regardless of safety protocols. The hazards cannot be overstated. Just stay away from this, it's not worth it.

Likes Nik_2213
Um, tin is minimally hazardous, its use in 'tinning' steel food cans attests to that. But, removing associated arsenic, sulphides, fluorides etc from the ore really is dangerous. IIRC, roasting the ore with ample ventilation was the traditional approach. Be NOT downwind of such...

It is still hazardous if heated beyond a certain point though. When heated, it can even react with and contaminate food but yes it is a relatively low hazard at normal temperatures. It is not a good idea to habitually heat food in the tin.

Related to How is Solder Made? Learn the Process & Its Benefits

1. What is solder and why is it used in electronics?

Solder is a metal alloy, typically made of tin and lead, that is used to join two or more metal surfaces together. It is commonly used in electronics to create strong and reliable electrical connections between components.

2. How is solder made?

Solder is made by melting together tin and lead at high temperatures, usually around 180-190°C. Other metals such as antimony, copper, and silver may also be added to create specific types of solder with different properties.

3. What is the process for making solder?

The process for making solder involves melting the metals together in a furnace, then mixing and casting the molten alloy into bars or wire. The bars or wire are then cooled and solidified, and may go through additional processes such as rolling, cutting, and fluxing to create the final product.

4. What are the benefits of using solder?

Solder has several benefits, including its ability to create strong and reliable electrical connections, its low melting point which makes it easy to work with, and its versatility in being able to join a variety of metals together. It also has good thermal and electrical conductivity, making it ideal for use in electronics.

5. Are there any safety concerns when working with solder?

Yes, there are some safety concerns when working with solder, particularly with the lead content. Lead can be toxic if ingested or inhaled, so it is important to handle solder carefully and use proper safety equipment such as gloves and a mask. It is also important to properly dispose of any excess or waste solder to avoid environmental contamination.