How Many Gametes and Chromosomes Result from Human Meiosis?

  • Topic: Biology 
  • Thread starter Thread starter t_n_p
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Genetics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
t_n_p
Messages
593
Reaction score
0
1. Answer the following questions as they relate to a human cell undergoing meosis.

a) how many gametes will result from each meiosis in a human male and from each meiosis in a human female?

I think it's one gamete each? I'm not sure how to interpret this question

b) how many chromosomes will each of these gametes contain?

Pretty sure its 23 chromosomes in each gamete

c) In a human male the X and Y chromosomes are not homologous and yet the gametes always contain either one or the other of these chromosomes, but not both nor neither. Why?

I really don't know how to explain this one...

Thanks to anybody who can help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I've figured out part 1 is 4 gametes each from the male and female, just need to to part 3 now. Unfortunately, I still don't know how to explain it properly. Anybody able to help?