1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much does the general GRE matter? The subject test?

Tags:
  1. Nov 1, 2012 #1
    Is it possible to impress a committee for (science) graduate school applications with GRE general test scores? What about with the non-math sections? Would even a perfect score or close to it on one of the sections stand out, or would it still just be a litmus test that doesn't really make you stand out?

And regarding the subject test. Is it another litmus test or can it help/hurt you? Does a mediocre/average grade hurt you? I feel like the GRE can only hurt you if you do average, and doesn't really help you if you do above average. Is this true or am I underestimating its value?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2012 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The General GRE has essentially zero weight.

The subject test is an important piece in the decision process. It's a useful piece of information supporting good grades, and it's one of the few things that will shore up less than good grades.

4. Nov 1, 2012 #3
    And here I was excited about my general test scores... I guess I still have the harder one to deal with then.

5. Nov 2, 2012 #4
    What if you don't do great on the subject GRE but have amazing letters of rec + good grades + research experience?

I do horrible on tests like these, so I don't want a nothing special PGRE score to reflect too poorly?

6. Nov 2, 2012 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

7. Nov 2, 2012 #6
    So, what about not submitting an optional subject test score? Lets say you have a tremendous application except that you don't take the subject test (I am taking it, but this is hypothetical). How much does that hurt an application? What % of people applying to schools where the subject test is not required apply without and, and how many of them get in?

8. Nov 2, 2012 #7
    It varies from school to school. Some schools make it optional because they don't consider it to be an important factor, but will see a high score as positive. Some schools make it optional, but would really prefer to see it and state things along the lines of "it is strongly recommended to submit a subject test score" and/or "if you don't submit a score, you need to explain why". One school (which I can't remember right now) explicitly said something like "the subject score is optional, but its absence will make your application look weaker".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook