Let me show you my work.
for a)
H2SO4 + 2NaOH ----> Na2SO4 + 2H2O
NaOH H2SO4 molar ratio 2:1
2 mol 1 mol
Molar mass NaOH:
Na: 1 x 23.0 g = 23.0g
OH: 1x 17.0g = 17.0g
= 40.0g
moles of NaOH reacted: (10.0g)/(40.0g/mol) = 0.250 or 2.50x10^-1 mol
Let x = mol of H2SO4 x/1 = 0.25/2 = 0.125
0.250 mol x mol
2NaOH --> H2SO4
2 mol 1 mol
Molar Mass H2SO4 = 98.1g
Thus, mass H2SO4 produced:
= 0.125 x 98.1g/mol
= 12.3g
Therefore 12.3 g of sulphuric acid will neutralize 10.0 g of sodium hydroxide
b) What volume of water vapour at 100 degrees celsius and 110 kPa would also be produced?
Here's what I did:
H2SO4 + 2NaOH ----> Na2SO4 + 2H2O
PV=nRT, therefore, V = P/nRT : V = 110kPa/(0.250mol)(8.31kPa x L / mol x K) (373K)
V= 0.142L
Therefore 0.142 L of water vapour would be produced.
Now if this is correct, I'm not sure why. A friend of mine told me to focus on the NaOH mol as it was directly involved in the question. Not sure what it meant, so if this is correct, an explantion would be great :D
Also, any explanation on fractional coeffiecients would be great, I've read pages and pages about it, but I'm not sure how I can produce them when creating compounds, in my opinion it's easier to just use coefficients but the chapter in my textbooks says fractional coefficients are a lot easier in compund design and understanding, I just can't seem to understand it's simplicity if there is one.