Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How some people lose themselves in online gaming

1. Mar 7, 2010 #1
    Here's a weird and a very sad story:

A child dies while web-addict parents raise 'virtual' baby on Prius Online

More ...

And, on BBC

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2010 #2
  4. Mar 10, 2010 #3
    That's really sad and I can only think of the parents as irresponsible.

5. Mar 10, 2010 #4
    The baby girl died of malnutrition, a severe sign of neglect on the part of the parents.

The weird part is the parents played a game that involved the rearing of a virtual child.

6. Mar 10, 2010 #5
    http://virtualnavigator.wordpress.com/2010/03/10/virtual-world-addictions-deadly-costs/

7. Mar 12, 2010 #6
    Here's another case: Addiction to the online game "EverQuest"

Dennis Bennett managed to stop playing playing the game "EverQuest"

Source: When games stop being fun

8. Mar 14, 2010 #7
  9. Mar 14, 2010 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That was really good. Particularly this point:

10. Mar 14, 2010 #9
  11. Mar 18, 2010 #10
    I'm pretty much obsessed with online gaming, so I can probabily give an insight into what occurs.
    First, you start playing. Then, you start meeting people. Then, you start playing with these people and you're in constant competition to get better. Moreover, some of these games have unlimited depths of strategy, there's no cap to how good you can get, so time investment directly correlates to how good you are compared to others. These online strategy games usually require in depth intellectual involvement and strategy formulation, this coupled with the requirement of teamwork can make it absolutely irresistable to some people.

Before you know it you're playing this awesome game with teammates formulating complex strategies, always trying to get better. Irresistable. It's not like these people are watching movies all day or just playing single player games, it's so different.

As for games like WoW that don't require strategy, that I cannot really understand. I guess it's online with real people completing quests and leveling up and discovering awesome stuff making you stronger, I guess that would be addictive.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook