How sound differs in ice tunnels versus dirt tunnels

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sci-Fried
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sound writer
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Sci-Fried
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I am wondering if sounds would be noticeably different inside of a tunnel made out of ice than for a tunnel made out of dirt/planet's crust. If so, can you think of any comparisons or general differences. For instance, would sounds echo louder/farther in one of them?

I suspect the properties (such as temperature and density) of the ice and dirt would affect the sounds but these are not relevant to my story so I can manipulate them, if need be, in order to achieve more of a difference.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Smooth ice will reflect a lot of sound, whereas dirt walls will absorb more, so sound should be heard from further away in the ice tunnel.