Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How sure can we be of the distances in the solar system?

1. Nov 22, 2011 #1
    And directly related to that: How can we be sure of the speed of light? I've been searching for a good answer as to how we measure the SOL and am yet to have someone give me a solid explaination. Today we shine a laser at a mirror on the moon and time how long it takes to get back. What it sounds like to me is: we use the SOL to measure a distance that we use to measure the SOL.

I've also heard that we have a device that measures how many times light bounces between 2 points within 1 meter. If im not mistaken thats 3x10^8 times in 1 sec.

This to me seems like a pretty important thing to know considering our science is pretty well based on the SOL.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2011 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Physicists have been measuring the speed of light with ever-improving accuracy for quite some time now. Interferometry-based experiments provided incredibly accurate measurements. Nowadays, with the speed of light defined as 299,792,458 m/s (exactly), those same interferometry-based experiments provide ever-refined means to establish a baseline for the meter.

4. Nov 22, 2011 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Having landed probes on, or put them in orbit around, most of the planets in the solar system is compelling evidence our distance estimates are pretty accurate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook