How the wavelength of a photon is measured experimentally?

Main Question or Discussion Point

How wavelength of photon is measured experimentally?

Answers and Replies

Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
The wavelength of light can be determined from the interference pattern that is created from two-slit interference, and much more precisely by the interference pattern that results from a diffraction grating using a diffraction-grating based spectrometer that has a grating with hundreds and/or thousands of equally spaced lines/grooves: For both two two-slit interference, and for a grating with many lines, ## m \lambda= d \sin(\theta) ## for the location of the primary interference maxima, but the measurement with a many-line grating is far more precise.

The wavelength of light can be determined from the interference pattern that is created from two-slit interference, and much more precisely by the interference pattern that results from a diffraction grating using a diffraction-grating based spectrometer that has a grating with hundreds and/or thousands of equally spaced lines/grooves: For both two two-slit interference, and for a grating with many lines, ## m \lambda= d \sin(\theta) ## for the location of the primary interference maxima, but the measurement with a many-line grating is far more precise.
I want more details

Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I want more details
Please give a couple of sentences or more then of what you are looking for. You are asking one sentence questions. If you would read my first reply carefully, and perhaps google things like two-slit interference, it already is quite detailed.

Chandra Prayaga
Science Advisor
Just type: "measuring wavelength of light" in Google. Here is one reference