How to apply L'Hôpital's rule to lim(x→∞) x - ln(1+2e^x)

  • Thread starter Thread starter needhlpcalc
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
needhlpcalc
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
L'Hospitals problem...NEED HELP!

This problem is on a test that our teacher said we could research if we wanted...and we are finishing it tomorrow. I have NO CLUE how to approach it and need help!

Homework Statement


lim x->infinity [tex] x - ln(1+2e^x)[/tex]

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



so, its infinity - infinity, which is indeterminate.

I did the limit function on my TI-89, and it just keeps spitting the original equation back at me as the answer. I then graphed the function on my TI-89, and when it goes past x=2302, the graph is undefined. HOWEVER, when i go into the table, the values after 2302 go to -infinity, so I think that's what the answer's supposed to be...but I have no idea how to set up the quotient and solve using L'Hospital's Rule...PLEASE HELP!
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Don't use l'Hopital on that! Write (1+2e^x)=(e^x)*(2+1/e^x) and use rules of logs.
 


...i don't quite follow where you're going with that...can you elaborate more please?
 


It's your turn to elaborate. Simplify ln((e^x)*(2+1/e^x)).
 


[tex] x - {ln[(e^x)(2 + 1/e^x)]}[/tex]

rule of logs:
[tex] x - [ln(e^x) + ln(2 + 1/e^x)] [/tex]

cancel out ln(e^x)
[tex] x - x - ln(2 + 1/e^x)[/tex]

plug in the limit:

[tex] =infinity- 1 - ln(2) [/tex]

[tex] =infinity[/tex]

+infinity is the answer? when my calc says -infinity?
 
Last edited:


Oops...dumb mistake. My bad. I feel like a retard. :(

ohhh...ok I think I got it. Thanks to all! :)
 
Last edited:


To apply l'Hospital's rule recall that since [tex]e^x[/tex] is a continuous function you can "move" limits in and out of an exponential.

Thus the limit you want being [tex]L=\lim_{x\to \infty} f(x) -g(x)[/tex],

[tex]\exp({\lim_{x\to \infty} f(x) -g(x))= \lim_{x\to \infty} e^{f(x)-g(x)}[/tex]

Then apply rules of exponentials:
[tex]\exp(\lim_{x\to \infty} f(x) -g(x))= \lim_{x\to \infty} \frac{e^{f(x)}}{e^{g(x)}}[/tex]

You can now apply l'Hospital's rule on this limit of a quotient and the answer is the exponential of your desired limit. (if it is finite and positive).

Now there may be a more direct way to calculate but this is how you deal with differences of infinities in general so you will want to practice this method.

There is a bit more to it... I should rather have written, given the exponential function is continuous:
[tex]\lim_{x\to a}e^{h(x)} = \lim_{y\to L} e^y[/tex] where [tex]L = \lim_{x\to a} h(x)[/tex].
But this is the same thing provided the limit L is finite. It just generalizes to the case where L is infinite.

But the result is that for your limit:
[tex]\lim_{x\to \infty} f(x) -g(x) = \ln\left[ \lim_{x\to \infty} \frac{e^{f(x)}}{e^{g(x)}}\right][/tex]
provided this logarithm is well defined.