How to Calculate pH of a 0.15 M Solution of Potassium Hydroxide Using Kw Value

  • Thread starter Thread starter D.J Falcon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Base Ph
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
D.J Falcon
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A strong base cane be assumed to be fully ionised in dilute solution. Use the Kw value to calculate the hydrogen ion concentration and hence the pH of a 0.15 M solution of potassium hydroxide, KOH.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



Problem is, I don't know where to begin, so any advice on how to proceed or pointers would be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, I think I managed to do it meself. Forgot it was a strong base.

pOH=-log10[OH-]
pOH=-log10[0.15M]
pOH=0.824

pH+pOH=14 ∴ pH=14-0.824=13.176
 
Too many digits - 13.18 would be more to my liking. Other than that you did OK.