How to Convert Units for Coulomb's Law Equations

In summary, unit conversion is the process of converting a quantity from one unit to another unit of measurement, often necessary in scientific calculations. It is important because it allows for accurate and consistent comparisons and analysis of data. Some common units used in unit conversion include meters, nanometers, square meters, and square nanometers. To convert between square meters and square nanometers, you can use the conversion factor of 1,000,000,000,000 (10^12) or the formula: square meters x 1,000,000,000,000 = square nanometers, or square nanometers / 1,000,000,000,000 = square meters.
kh199
I have a real simple question. I'm doing a problem that involves Coulomb's law. My charge separation is 5 nanomeers, and the charges are each elementary.

So, for the equation, I have:

(9E9 (N*m^2/C^2) *(1.6E-19)^2 (C^2) ) / (5 nm)^2

Units are bolded. The denominator has to be converted to meters to it can cancel out with the units of K. Do I have to square the x10^-9 multiplier as well? Does the denominator end up as 2.5E-8 m^2 or does it end up as 2.5E-17 m^2

Physics news on Phys.org
(5 nm)² = (5 nm) x (5 nm) = (5 x 10-9 m) x (5 x 10-9 m) = ... ?

1. What is unit conversion?

Unit conversion is the process of converting a quantity from one unit to another unit of measurement. This is often necessary in scientific calculations, where different units are used for different variables.

2. Why is unit conversion important?

Unit conversion is important because it allows scientists to compare and analyze data that is measured in different units. It also ensures that calculations are accurate and consistent.

3. What are some common units used in unit conversion?

Some common units used in unit conversion include meters (m), nanometers (nm), square meters (m2), and square nanometers (nm2). These are commonly used in measurements of length and area.

4. How do you convert between square meters and square nanometers?

To convert from square meters (m2) to square nanometers (nm2), you can multiply the value in square meters by 1,000,000,000,000 (1012). To convert from square nanometers to square meters, you can divide the value in square nanometers by 1,000,000,000,000 (1012).

5. Can you convert between square meters and square nanometers using a formula?

Yes, the formula for converting between square meters and square nanometers is: square meters x 1,000,000,000,000 = square nanometers, or square nanometers / 1,000,000,000,000 = square meters. This formula can also be used for converting between other units of area, as long as the conversion factor is known.