How to Determine Consumed Fatigue Life in Cast Aluminum Parts?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
rikcardo
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
How to determine in a cast aluminum part its consumed fatigue life?

Lets imagine I get a cast aluminum part that looks good, but I have no idea for how many km it has been used (automotive). Which kind of non destructive tests or methods could I use to determine the consumed fatigue life, and that way know if it should be replaced?

I can only compare to a new part, I have no other information whatsoever.

Help would be great appreciated :)

best regards

R.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
But what I would like to know is how close am I from having a crack. There are no symptoms in the material? There material does not change somehow during cycling before cracking?