How to Determine the pH of a Buffer Made with K2HPO4 and KH2PO4?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kk727
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Buffer Ph
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 7K views
kk727
Messages
54
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Calculate the pH of a buffer made with 10.0 g of K2HPO4 and 5.0 g of KH2PO4 in 1.0L of water.

Homework Equations



-log Ka + log (base/acid) = pH

The Attempt at a Solution



So...mathwise, I know how to do this problem. My only question is, aren't K2HPO4 and KH2PO4 both salts? How would they break up? I don't know which would be the acid or the base, and I couldn't find a Ka/Kb value to help me.

Basically I just can't figure out how they break up and what their conjugates are... :p
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Ignore cation. Write stepwise dissociation reactions for multiprotic acid.
 


So my teacher said that the KH2PO4 would be considered the acid, and that the K2HPO4 would form a strong conjugate base. I converted from grams to mols, and then to molarity. Using the given Ka value of 6.2 x 10^-8, I just plugged everything into the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation and got a pH of 7.4. Does this sound right? :/