How to Factor Vapor Retarders into Relative Humidity & thus Mold Risk

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of relative humidity and the role of vapor retarders in preventing condensation and mold growth in walls. The speaker expresses concern about existing methods ignoring vapor resistance and seeks a formula or way to integrate permeability into calculations. The conversation also references a spreadsheet that can calculate condensation in a wall assembly and discusses the importance of moisture control in building construction. The conversation concludes by highlighting the role of building codes and proper construction in preventing excess moisture and mold growth in buildings.
Jonathon
TL;DR Summary
Many methods of calculating Relative Humidity exist. All that I've seen ignore vapor retarders, which seems disastrous. Am I missing something?
Attempting to find a way to integrate perms into a mold risk calculation, I converted a printed spreadsheet (from a journal article) into a functioning spreadsheet, almost. Where do the highlighted parts come from?
Relative humidity can be calculated if you know dewpoint and temperature - by formulae such as the August-Roche-Magnus approximation.
All methods - all formulae - ignore vapor resistance (perms).

Surely scientists/engineers have a way to then, as a subsequent step, bring vapor retarders into the calculation of relative humidity. If not, that would surely guarantee major mistakes. How can you calculate relative humidity at a point in a roof/wall assembly if you ignore vapor barriers and vapor retarders?

Is there something I'm missing?

Seeking a formula for how vapor retarders affect mold risk, or at least a way to integrate perms into a mold risk spreadsheet, I ended up converting a printed spreadsheet (calculating condensation in a wall assembly) into a functioning spreadsheet - almost.

Substituting complex thermodynamics formulae into the sheet resulted in the same numbers as in print, except for 2 lines + 2 cells.
Where do the yellow-highlighted parts come from?

The blue cell shows where the actual vapor pressure = the saturation vapor pressure.

If you wish, you can edit the spreadsheet - except that physicsforums.com wants to display the file instead of link to it. You'll have to insert a dot before the "com" in this address: docs.google com/spreadsheets/d/11smIARQELJuGApXnJM_Wd-VyPr9eORoFZ4VKseyk-w0/
Perhaps highlight your additions / changes in a different color so other readers can see what was original and what's been changed. I suggest inserting lines instead of overwriting existing lines.

I don't think you need to read the source article, but if you wish, the article with the source table is "Vapour Pressure and Condensation", in Canadian Building Digest.
https://nrc-publications.canada.ca/eng/view/ft/?id=897fca5e-67e2-46e0-9e83-c2c456faadf1

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Jonathon said:
Summary:: Many methods of calculating Relative Humidity exist. All that I've seen ignore vapor retarders, which seems disastrous. Am I missing something?...

Relative humidity can be calculated if you know dewpoint and temperature - by formulae such as the August-Roche-Magnus approximation.
All methods - all formulae - ignore vapor resistance (perms).

Surely scientists/engineers have a way to then, as a subsequent step, bring vapor retarders into the calculation of relative humidity. If not, that would surely guarantee major mistakes. How can you calculate relative humidity at a point in a roof/wall assembly if you ignore vapor barriers and vapor retarders?
I feel like may be confusing the calculation of RH from other parameters(a single state) with the calculation of permeation. Relative humidity is just a single parameter of many that describes a single point/state of a parcel of air. The relationship between the various properties has nothing specifically to do with flows or processes. Flows and processes are how you determine what the state is, not what the relationship between RH and vapor pressure (for example) is.

Relative humidity itself doesn't really cause/foment mold growth; condensation - a wet surface - does. The article models a wall by individual components to determine the temperature and humidity gradients to predict where condensation - and therefore mold growth - may occur. Vapor retarders/barriers reduce or block moisture permeation to lower the vapor pressure curve and prevent condensation.

Likes Lnewqban
You seem to be attempting to calculate moisture inside a wall under assumptions of temperature, humidity, and vapor permeability. If so, this is overly simplistic. Building Science Corporation, https://www.buildingscience.com/, has published a lot of information on moisture in walls and roofs. It turns out that moisture in walls has more to do with liquid water getting in (rain), and ability of the structure to dry out, than with vapor permeability letting moisture in. Here's a link to their information on water in walls: https://www.buildingscience.com/document-search?topics[0]=696.

Likes Lnewqban and russ_watters
jrmichler said:
Building Science Corporation, https://www.buildingscience.com/, has published a lot of information on moisture in walls and roofs. It turns out that moisture in walls has more to do with liquid water getting in (rain), and ability of the structure to dry out, than with vapor permeability letting moisture in.
The details of wall construction have been investigated and developed over the past several thousand years. Today, building codes include the results of modern scientific investigation and all that experience. A properly constructed and maintained building just won't experience excess moisture/mold growth. So yeah, when excess moisture/mold is found in a modern building it is virtually always due to a code violation, design error or disrepair.

Likes Lnewqban and jrmichler

FAQs about "How to Factor Vapor Retarders into Relative Humidity & thus Mold Risk"

1. How do vapor retarders affect relative humidity?

Vapor retarders, also known as moisture barriers, slow down the movement of moisture through walls, floors, and ceilings. This means that they can reduce the amount of moisture that enters a space, which in turn can lower the relative humidity.

2. Do all buildings need vapor retarders?

No, not all buildings require vapor retarders. The need for a vapor retarder depends on the climate and the type of building construction. In hot and humid climates, vapor retarders are often necessary to prevent moisture from entering the building. In colder climates, vapor retarders may not be necessary and can even cause problems if installed incorrectly.

3. Can vapor retarders prevent mold growth?

Vapor retarders can help prevent mold growth by reducing the amount of moisture that enters a space. However, they are not a foolproof solution. If there is already existing moisture in the building materials, vapor retarders may trap it and create an ideal environment for mold growth. Proper ventilation and moisture control are also important factors in preventing mold growth.

4. How do I determine the appropriate vapor retarder for my building?

The appropriate vapor retarder for a building depends on several factors such as the climate, building materials, and construction methods. It is best to consult with a building professional who can assess these factors and recommend the most suitable vapor retarder for your specific building.

5. Can I install a vapor retarder myself?

It is possible to install a vapor retarder yourself, but it is not recommended unless you have experience and knowledge in building construction. Improper installation of a vapor retarder can lead to moisture problems and potentially cause mold growth. It is best to hire a professional to ensure proper installation and minimize the risk of mold growth.