Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find subgroup of index n in a given group

1. Apr 6, 2012 #1
    Dear Folks:
    Is there a general method to find all subgroups in a given abstract group?? Many Thanks!!

This question came into my classmates' mind when he wants to find a 2 sheet covering of the Klein Bottle. This question is equivalent to find a subgroup of index 2 in Z free product Z/2Z. When n = 2, this question is sovalble using homology method according to my tutor, since the subgroup of index 2 is always regular, but when it comes to the general case, he says he suspected it has been solved.

PS: I'm sorry for my poor English. (I'm not a native speaker.) Hope I've expained it clearly.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2012 #2

I think your instructor is right: in general is, as far as I know, impossible to decide what orders and indexes subgroups of a group can have.

Of course, in particular cases we can: a finite abelian group ALWAYS has a subgroup of order (index) d, for any divisor d of the group's order. But there is hardly something more general than this, I'm afraid.

DonAntonio

4. Apr 6, 2012 #3

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not an expert on these sorts of things, but I just did a literature search and managed to find the following relevant article:

M. Conder and P. Dobcsányi, Applications and adaptations of the low index subgroups procedure, Math. Comp. 74 (2005), 485-497.

The first couple of paragraphs read:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook